On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 3:39 PM, Kevin Gorman <kgor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> David: I haven't seen anyone assert that the image in question isn't a
> violation of the principle of least astonishment.  I've seen several people
> suggest the image was acceptable for other reasons.  If you can articulate
> a reasonable (i.e., not full of snark and one that indicates you've read at
> least most of the ongoing discussion) argument that putting the image in
> question on Commons frontpage (and the frontpage of numerous other projects
> in the process,) is not a violation of the principle of least astonishment,
> I'd love to hear it.  Especially if you craft your argument to recognize
> the fact that the image was both displayed on projects that didn't speak
> any of the languages it was captioned in, and given that most Wikimedia
> viewers can't actually play our video formats.  I guess you could argue
> that the resolution only says that the board "supports" the POLA rather
> than requires it, but that's a rather weak argument for putting a grainy
> black and white stack of dead corpses linking to a video many can't play
> that's only captioned in a handful of langauges on the frontpage of a
> project that serves projects in 287 different languages.

I think David was reacting to your bold assertion that the next time you
determine Commons has violated a Board resolution, drastic action would be
taken. This suggests some certainty on your part that the Board and
stewards agree with your judgment. I haven't seen evidence of that. You can
certainly advocate that action be taken, but dire warnings of certain
consequences seem a bit beyond your authority to issue.