Hi Marc,

zero-rating a special service or a certain website on you mobile contract
is a clever way to undermine net neutrality, even when it comes as such a
noble service to give free knowledge to the people.

Free knowledge of the leading global encyclopedia is surely connected with
a totally different approach as, let's say, a certain music-streaming
website which is included zero-rated in a mobile contract, but
nethertheless it is way to undermine/break net neutrality. A noble cause
doesn't necessarily make breaking an important principle unproblematic.

There is already a discussion in the community about the prospective
complex of problems with zero-rating as an icebreaker for introducing
different price tags on data. It could be the time to start talking
globally about an in-the-future exit strategy on the surely noble
initiative e.g. when certain milestones are reached in participating
countries/regions.

best regards

Jens Best

> On 05/29/2014 04:55 PM, rupert THURNER wrote:
> > another sad day, wikimedia foundation as the vicarious servant of the
> > telecom industry on its way destroying net neutrality.
>
> I would *really* like to hear your reasoning on this, given that there
> is absolutely nothing that prevents any telco provider from zero-rating
> Wikipedia.  Net neutrality doesn't even enter into it.
>
> What *does* enter into it, however, is that literally /millions/ more
> people now have free access to Wikipedia that could not before afford it.
>
> -- Marc

Jens Best
Präsidium
Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
web: http://www.wikimedia.de
mail: jens.best <http://goog_17221883>@wikimedia.de

Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts
Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig
anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin,
Steuernummer 27/681/51985.