Chris writes:

> If as a private citizen in the EU you construct a card-file index of
> newspaper cuttings (or any other kind of database) including personal
> details about a group of individuals, you are becoming both a "data
> processor" and "data controller".

I think that's the plain meaning of the ECJ decision.

> It would be hard to argue that a Wikipedia article  or Wikidata entry does
> not represent personal data in a retrievable form.

I agree here too.

> It would be an interesting question whether the Wikimedia Foundation or
> individual Wikimedians were data processors and controllers. The court would
> have to decide who was the "controller" of this data, if indeed there was
> one.

My intuition is that a European court, and certainly the ECJ, would be
likely to hold either or both WMF and individual Wikimedians liable.
No need to choose between one or the other, given the breadth of the
definitions.

> I don't believe Wikipedia could be a data controller as it has no legal
> personality, and legal personality is quite difficult to acquire when you
> set out to avoid acquiring it.

On this point I must disagree.

>  However, even if my line of thinking is correct, I think Wikipedia's
> existing policies wouldn't need much amendment. Processing of personal data
> is allowed so long as it complies with the various duties on data
> processors, e.g. being accurate and processed for a legitimate purpose.

Accuracy is no defense! That's one of the chief lessons of the ECJ
opinion. And building an encyclopedia is not named as "a legitimate
purpose" by the ECJ. (If it were, all Google would have to do is
revive its own experiment in encyclopedias, Knol, but this time give
it a compatible Creative Commons license.)

> We have quite a clear purpose in processing data - the provision of an
> encyclopedia. We already limit ourselves to truthful and accurate coverage
> of data subjects (e.g. the BLP policy); and we already have something
> analogous to a public-interest test as to whether we process this data at
> all (the notability principle).

Google has a clear purpose too, and it was no defense. Plus, there is
a public-interest argument in favor of eschewing the erasure of true,
accurate public data that happens to be old.

Plus, it must be said, Wikimedia Foundation is not well-positioned to
litigate these issues again and again in Europe.

--Mike