On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 1:12 PM, Yann Forget <yan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > The people you, Nathan, are accusing of behaving badly, are the ones who
> > are doing the hard, day-do-day work of enforcing the expressed consensus
> of
> > the Wikimedia community, which values a commitment to free licenses.
>
> Sorry, but this is a strawman argument.
> No, these people are not enforcing any consensus.
> Actually, they are precisely working against the silent majority in
> the case of URAA.

I am going to take a pass on following this shift from talking about
non-free files as a general topic (which is a very broad topic and a core
issue to our movement, and which I feel qualified to talk about) and the
URAA issue (which, though significant, is a bit murky to me).

My opinion on URAA is pretty simple: it is a terribly misguided law. One
sign of a bad law is that it prompts deeply divisive arguments where they
need not exist. Within the Wikimedia world, I recognize that various people
are pushing for incompatible outcomes, all in good faith. I have stayed out
of that debate so far, and will probably continue to do so.

Pete