I do not understand the relevance of this reply to my comments.

~~~~

-----Original Message-----
From: wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org
[mailto:wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of Fæ
Sent: 18 June 2014 10:20 AM
To: Wikimedia Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] The tragedy of Commons

On 18/06/2014, Peter Southwood <peter.southw...@telkomsa.net> wrote:
> This is a strong argument for locating Uncommons outside the USA.
> Somewhere where the copyright laws allow the widest range of images to
> be kept. Images can be tagged for where they are free and where they are not
> free.

I have now uploaded nearly 400,000 public domain and other freely released
images to Wikimedia Commons. Every week there are times I break into a sweat
wondering if one of the many institutions I have taken the original images
from, will attempt to prosecute me personally under 'sweat of the brow',
conflicting international law, database rights, misuse of a website under a
tacit contract, etc. Even though I am careful to ensure I have made "reasonable
efforts" to ascertain that the images are free to reuse, mistakes happen and I
am subject to UK law, along with the long reach of US law and the Wikimedia
Foundation has made it clear that there is no guarantee that any legal costs as
a direct result of my volunteer work would be covered by them.

Deliberately setting out to avoid copyright law and uploading material to an
aggregating website that you know for certain is "non-free" and supplying it so
that others may avoid copyright, is a far riskier thing to do. If a civil
action against a volunteer were taken, I doubt there could be a defence in
court based on "good faith" or "reasonable effort".

I note that a WMF trustee has made a supportive comment in this thread, however
before Wikimedia starts officially encouraging and promoting sharing non-free
media using donated charitable funds intended for free works, any "uncommons"
proposal should be carefully advised on by lawyers. At an individual level, I
would recommend that volunteers protect themselves with anonymity using
technical means to ensure their contributions were untraceable, so that only
the website host could ever be prosecuted in relevant jurisdictions. Note that
just because your server is in Peru, does not mean that works protected under
US or EU law may not be vigorously defended in local courts. Legally, this may
well be treated as an internet piracy website, they tend to not end well.

Commons has 21,500,000 files, the unnecessary drama created
(literally) by a couple of admins who should be able to talk to each other
rather than wheel-warring, and then forum shopping, over some works suffering
under the consequences of the rather daft URAA, represent a pin-drop in that
ocean of freely reusable media. This does not make Commons "tragic", indeed it
feels like a mellow place 99% of the time as nobody really notices the
committed content contributors.

Links
* https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Statistics
* https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Staying_mellow