On 3 July 2014 18:49, Marc A. Pelletier <m...@uberbox.org> wrote:

> Also, 24T is a significant chunk of the space available to Labs in
> general; storage is nowhere near as inexpensive in our context as would
> be with off-the-shelf customer-grade disks.  There's nothing that
> prevents us from allocating significant resources to a project that
> needs it (to wit: open street maps tile generator) but we're not going
> to do that site unseen and without supervision.

As an aside to this: even were you to do it with crappy consumer-grade
disks, you're still looking at the better part of a thousand dollars -
the cheapest price for a new off-the-shelf disk looks to be about
$35/tb, so perhaps eight hundred dollars or more. Presumably even for
crappy disks the costs of putting them in a box and plugging it in are
still there, too - call it a round thousand for the cheapest option.

I haven't been following this case, but I would think saying "let's
figure out what you want to do before we spend a thousand dollars on
it" would be an eminently reasonable position for Marc to take.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.g...@dunelm.org.uk