Kevin Gorman wrote:

> Regarding the IA: they have a significant interest in working with the
> Wikimedia projects, a lot more experience than the Wikimedia projects have
> caching absolutely tremendous quantities of data, a willinness to handle a
> degree of legal risk that would be inappropriate for the Wikimedia projects
> to take on....

Because they censor things retroactively when requested by new domain
owners' robots.txt, and apparently immediately comply with essentially
all take-down requests regardless of merit, which would not be
appropriate for the project described at
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Caching_References

IA's legality in general has apparently never been tested in court,
but the Foundation's use of fair use resources has repeatedly
withstood such tests. The Wayback Machine API is so slow that waiting
editors to sit through it as part of the reflinks process would be
absurd, and repeated requests for the Foundation to assist them and
WebCitation.org over the years have been met with silence. The
Foundation should be asserting the Feist v. Rural and Field v. Google
rights described at the link above, without spending orders of
magnitude more than is necessary on involuntary government
surveillance-enabled name brand equipment from manufacturers

Andrew Gray wrote, regarding the proposed community strategy survey
including participation-related goals:

> inappropriate" or "no, that's irrelevant"

On the contrary, about two fifths of the responses so far have
expressed support.

> Almost every issue on that political survey is irrelevant
> to most of our work - I suppose you could make a case
> for "metropolitan broadband", which might be relevant

One of the objections from a few months ago was to that specific
issue, highlighting the need for an actual survey to be performed
instead of remaining willfully ignorant of community preferences. I am
skeptical that anyone in our community is satisfied with such willful
ignorance.

> and irrelevant to the specific question of volunteer participation.

On the contrary, if we can reduce the costs of participation we can
expect participation to increase. This is not a "second or third-order
effect," it is a direct effect.

> to divert resources into one or the other those topics,
> is frankly insulting to our donors and volunteers, who
> have signed up to support something entirely different

They signed up to support our mission, which explicitly includes
empowering people. The Foundation is not involved in large-scale
international trade, but we involve ourselves with trade treaty
negotiations when they will impact the ability of our volunteers to
accomplish their tasks because that is in fact part of our mission.

> why are you so confident that Wikipedians are *for* all of these things?

Because all of them are likely to increase the amount of time
potential volunteers have to contribute. Do we have respect for those
volunteers' time, or do we only give them lip service? If the original
European strategy survey included a broader range of ideas for
increasing participation, they likely would have ranked them similarly
to how self-selected respondents have at
http://www.allourideas.org/wmfcsdraft/results

But there is only one way to find out, and the community deserves
inquiry instead of turning our backs on them and seeking willing
ignorance of their preferences.

When I was the only person supporting paying Foundation employees a
competitive wage, there was nothing but vocal and strenuous opposition
until it was done. Often that opposition involved mean-spirited
personal attacks and sarcasm. What reason to I have to expect that
this situation will not resolve similarly, when there is abundant and
obvious support forthcoming, including messages to this list, one of
which was sent immediately prior to Andrew's?

> Wikimedia has a goal we have chosen to adopt

"to empower and engage people around the world to collect and develop
educational content under a free license or in the public domain, and
to disseminate it effectively and globally." Not to sit idly by while
austerity and tax havens destroy access to education and the free
volunteer time necessary for the community to efficiently improve the
projects.

> and a general method we have developed to try and achieve it.

That method is not set in stone, and the community deserves a voice in
how the Foundation prioritizes the many ways that they can support
them.