While I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, Todd, there were 14,681
users on English Wikipedia alone who had enabled MediaViewer using the Beta
Features preference before it became the default.  That's a huge number of
people who were all using it every time they clicked on an image in the
weeks and months beforehand, and every one of them had to make a conscious
decision to turn it on.  The 64 users who want it disabled as default pale
in comparison to the number of people who were actively using it
beforehand.

I've asked for some better statistical information because I don't think
the Limn graphs that have been referred to in the discussion of the RFC are
really accurate; it's my understanding that about 1600 registered accounts
have opted out of MV in total (this should be a linear graph of the
cumulative total, not a "daily number of people who opted out" graph which
is what we seem to see now).  As well, somewhere in the neighbourhood of
500 "logged out" users a day are disabling it - this needs to be a daily
number, not a cumulative one, because logged-out disabling is linked to the
individual browser session; those who aren't logged in don't have the
chance to set preferences.  There are between 4 and 5 *million* clicks on
image thumbnails every day on enwiki, with only around 500 of those viewing
the images disabling the MediaViewer (excluding logged-in users who have
turned it off in their preferences).

I suspect that at the end of the day, MediaViewer is going to be more like
the switch to Vector skin: there will be plenty of people who choose to
disable for reasons that work for them, but the overwhelming majority of
users will be entirely fine with the default.   It's having nowhere near
the impact that VisualEditor had when first enabled as default; in the
first 48 hours there were hundreds of "how do you turn this off" queries
and complaints about functionality, not to mention pretty much automatic
reverting of edits done by IPs because there were so many VE-related
problems associated with them.  We're not at that level at all here.  I
agree with John Vandenberg's comments that a clear roadmap and prioritized
list of next steps is probably required for MediaViewer.

Risker/Anne