Risker,

I'm actually not going to disagree with you in principle. I ultimately see
Media Viewer being used by a good number of users, and said as much from
the start. But I also warned that a bulldozer approach was going to cause
massive blowback, especially after the previous debacles (VE and ACTRIAL
come to mind for me). And well, here we are, with another repeat of the VE
situation. That greatly eroded trust in WMF, especially its dev teams and
PMs, and that's nowhere even close to rebuilt yet. Now that lack of trust
is being confirmed and entrenched.

WMF needs to step very lightly with deployments that will affect editors,
and treat the volunteer community as an ally rather than adversary. If that
doesn't happen, these showdowns will keep happening.

Part of that is pure arrogance. A significant part of the reason the Vector
switch worked is because there was an easy, clearly accessible, one-click
option that said "Do not want, disable this!". If that'd been the case
here, I would have clicked that and forgotten about it. Instead, I had to
dig for an hour to find how to disable the thing, after being surprised by
a totally unexpected change. But now we hear things like "We made Vector
opt-out too easy!"

Media Viewer probably does have its place, once it is fully functional and
free of major bugs. I might even turn it on at that point. But shoving it
down people's throats will only serve to further place the WMF's flagship
project and the WMF at odds. That is not, I can't imagine, a desirable
situation by anyone's estimation. WMF needs a far better deployment
strategy than "YOU ARE GETTING IT, LIKE IT OR NOT, AND THAT IS
FINAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!" If the WMF's strategy for when the core community and
dev team disagree is "We're right, you're wrong, pipe down", these
situations will increase in frequency and intensity. I want to stop that
before it reaches a real boiling point, and it could've this time if
someone had actually gotten desysopped.