On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 6:29 AM, John Mark Vandenberg <jay...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> *But*, that only works on the normal website.  On the mobile website,
> I cant figure out how to disable the Media Viewer.  To check I wasnt
> missing something, I asked someone at the Wikimedia Indonesia office
> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:CentralAuth/Beeyan) to try to
> disable it on his phone, and he couldnt work it out either.
>
> Go to:
> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_Protection_Act_of_1970
>
> Scroll down to the "Tennessee Walking Horse" photo and click on it.
> As far as I can see it has downloaded the 200+KB photo, and I may
> either close the MediaViewer or go to the page on Commons.  There are
> no other options.
> We can't figure out how to disable this.  Even after logging in on the
> mobile site, there is no preference to disable it in the Settings.
>
> If you click the Details button to return to go to Commons, only a
> 70KB photo is shown, which is what used to occur.

Hi all,

A few points of clarification on MediaViewer and mobile. The Mobile Web
team built a custom image-viewing experience for users accessing Wikimedia
projects on phones and tablets; we're not actually using desktop
MediaViewer. The mobile implementation loads a size of the image adapted
for the viewport (which may be larger than the screen size due to retina
support). It does not load the full-size image unless that image is very
small. Users accessing the mobile site via Wikipedia Zero or from lower-end
no-JS phones/browsers go straight to the file page.

Performance and bandwidth are definitely things we think about a lot. The
Zero team is currently experimenting with different thumbnail compression
ratios for mobile users who access the site via Wikipedia Zero carriers, in
order to keep bandwidth impact minimal. Based on the outcome, we're
considering using extra compression in the mobile media viewing experience
for all users, though we'll need to study the caching implications, because
it could potentially make performance worse but bandwidth better.

Making sure the default experience works well for both high-end and low-end
device users is a much higher priority on mobile than creating layers of
opt-in/out preferences, because people use mobile differently from
laptops/computers and complex preference screens are difficult to navigate
on a smaller device. We do already have a preference to turn images off
entirely on the mobile site for users who want to save bandwidth; adding
more granular options to this is not something we're considering at this
time, though it's entirely possible that we may revisit this in the future.

--
Maryana Pinchuk
Product Manager, Wikimedia Foundation