On Sun, 24 Aug 2014, at 07:02, Brad Jorsch (Anomie) wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 10:53 PM, svetlana <svetl...@fastmail.com.au> wrote:
>
> > An undo with appropriate edit summary would also avoid a need in
> > escalating the issue - local sysops would consciously hold off their edit.
> > If they went against an office action, introducing superprotect /then/
> > could make sense
>

> Note that's exactly what was tried in the dewiki situation. The first WMF
> revert[1] refers to a warning on the talk page[2] that (according to Google
> Translate, and Erik's later statements) seems to basically say "Please
> don't do this again. Otherwise we might have to remove the editability of
> this page."
>
> But the local sysop didn't hold off; according to Google Translate he
> replied "With threats you will achieve nothing."
>

>  [1]:
> https://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=MediaWiki:Common.js&diff=132938232&oldid=132931760
>  [2]:
> https://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=MediaWiki_Diskussion:Common.js&diff=132938244&oldid=132935469
>

> --
> Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
> Software Engineer
> Wikimedia Foundation

By the way, while there is a downside to what the folks did (as in, edit war
and insist on stuff), I suppose it's partly justified by the thing being a
first point in time where a local consencus was considered insufficient.

I took some notes of this, and possible solutions, on this draft essay:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Regaining_trust_in_local_consencus

I expect that superprotect is just a consequence of such missing trust; once
the trust is regained, there is no need in superprotect in principle.

svetlana