Yes, it is emotions that speak, though emotions are often concealed beneath
"arguments." Basic human psychology.

Any attempt to ascribe this affair to "sour grapes" from a disgruntled software
developer is looking at a bush in the forest and not the massive collection of
trees. No, it's about basic survival issues, it's called "avoiding domination,"
a nearly universal trait that appears to be instinctive.

There are *also* "rational" issues, but it was not reason that led the WMF to,
in a rush, create and impose superprotect, and it was not reason that led to
all the extreme comments from the community. We don't expect the community to
be reasonable, as to every comment, but we do have higher expectations of
people employed to serve us.

It is likely, to me, that the root problem here was a new ED, who believed that
her mission was to create a better experience for *readers*, and, my guess, she
was encouraged to believe that by some of the Staff. And, of course, as a
skilled manager from software companies, she would support and rely on the
Staff for advice. However, there is a higher master, always, the customers.
Those who actually pay the bills.

Who are they? Well, we could talk about the donors, but there is a much larger
contributor to the WMF, and it contributes labor, not money. That labor makes
the projects possible. Some thought that the superprotect decision was a
deliberate attempt to shove the community away, to move toward bot maintenance,
to kick the experienced users out the door. I don't think so. I think it was
simply inept, though an inept decision that might be expected from an
*experienced software company manager.*

Who was not informed that the community is the actual customer, not the readers.

Who, I assume, can learn.

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax (413) 584-3151 business (413) 695-7114 cell
I'm so excited I can't wait for Now.