wikimedia-l,

On arrival I was asked to describe a few leadership principles and
practices I live out.  In my response I included a statement about courage,
honesty, and integrity [1]. These principles are not effective without
applying them.  To succeed, one must transfer these leadership principles,
to a vast number of people, enabling them to be more successful.

I’ve found the best method to teach others is to demonstrate [3].

Effective leaders demonstrate correct behavior and they demonstrate
leadership by acting with courage, honesty, and integrity.  This is what I
expect from myself and from those around me who share our mission.   Here’s
a quote from Ernesto 'Che’ Guevara, a person who's ability to lead is
unquestionable:

'One of the great educational techniques is example.  Therefore, the chiefs
must constantly offer the example of a pure and devoted life.  Promotion of
the soldier should be based on valor, capacity, and a spirit of sacrifice;
whoever does not have these qualities in high degree ought not to have
responsible assignments, since he will cause unfortunate accidents at any
moment.'  —Che Guevara, Guerrilla Warfare (1960) p. 90 [4].

We are not soldiers, but we are revolutionaries.  And as revolutionaries
supporting the Wikimedia mission we must consistently demonstrate the
behaviors that maximize our ability to build the software required to
fulfill our mission.  This is important because our users and contributors
are watching us as leaders.  They are watching our demonstration.  And if
we are to support them we must treat them with respect.   If we don't, they
will leave.

Che's policy when asking for help from their community was to always be
courteous, considerate, and just.  He emphasized that food, supplies, and
help from the community should be exchanged for fair compensation.
Always.  He continues:

'The conduct of the guerrilla fighter will be subject to judgment whenever
he approaches a house to ask for something.  The inhabitants will draw
favorable or unfavorable conclusions about the guerrilla band according to
the manner in which any service or food or other necessity is solicited and
the methods used to get what is wanted.  The explanation by the chief
should be detailed about these problems,  emphasizing their importance;  he
should also teach by example.'

Call to action:  Let's renew our commitment to treat everyone with respect
and dignity.  Let's lead by example by choosing our words carefully with
only positive intentions.  Open source requires a healthy community, and
respectful interactions are a sign of a healthy community.   I pledge to
treat everyone with respect and use respectful and inclusive language.
Please join me.

While I'm normally on IRC all the time, this last week has been special as
I'm migrating machines and devices.  Beginning this week I will have a
client on 24-7; however, I will be online for a dedicated IRC Office Hour
on Oct 9, 1-2pm PDT.   I would love to hear your thoughts here or in IRC.

All my best,

Damon
VPE, Wikimedia Foundation

[1]