> Is it the case that the translation ready strings with the word
> "media" are not accompanied by comments which would aid the translator
> to select the best specific word from a candidate list?

It's not really about translation. It's about English as well. In
translation it's usually clear how to translate this word without a lot of
context explanation, and in the languages that I know, it's translated as
"media" transliterated to that alphabet.

The problem is that "media" is (or at least appears to me to be) a
technical engineering term that is not understood well by all users of
Wikipedia and other MediaWiki sites, whereas "pictures", "videos" and
"sound recording" are unambiguous and don't need any explanation.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬