On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 9:54 PM, Allan J. Aguilar <ral...@vmail.me> wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 08:15:17 -0500
> Yana Welinder <ywelin...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> > To address Allan's question, this does not affect the trademark
> > status of the logos as governed by the new trademark policy:
> > https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Trademark_policy.
> >

> Thank you, Yana.
>
> However, as someone who understand little about copyright and
> trademarks, for me it is difficult to understand how can a logo be used
> commercially and not at the same time, and how can a logo be edited in
> any but at the same time it only can be published according to specific
> visual guidelines.
>
> Are the logos Free Cultural Works (as defined by Erik Möller on
> http://freedomdefined.org) or not?

I don't think Erik was completely thinking about trademarks when he wrote
that but I would say no, essentially nothing covered by a trademark  would
completely meet that definition. (and there would be major issues in my
mind with not covering our major logos by trademark) Even the Creative
Commons logos doesn't (for that matter I don't think the CC Logo is even
under a CC License, at least not a by-sa one).

James

[not speaking for Legal/WMF etc]