Forwarded as requested:

From: Raymond Leonard <raymond.f.leonard...@gmail.com>
To: "Wikimedia & GLAM collaboration [Public]" <g...@lists.wikimedia.org>
Cc: Open Access discussions <openacc...@lists.wikimedia.org>, "Wikimedia
& Libraries" <librar...@lists.wikimedia.org>,
wikipedi...@lists.wikimedia.org, wikimedia-l@lists.wikimedia.org,
wikipedia-libr...@lists.wikimedia.org
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 16:08:27 -0800
Subject: Re: [GLAM] [OpenAccess] New Wikipedia Library Signups: Free
Research Accounts!
Folks,

Even though I know most of cringe when we find a source that is behind a
paywall, I think that we should treat it as marginally better than a
offline source. For those, Wikipedia:Offline sources states "Wikipedia's
reliable sources guideline states that articles should be sourced with
reliable, third-party, published sources. Even though Wikipedia is an
online encyclopedia, there is no distinction between using online versus
offline sources." (Source emphasis, not mine)

This is what I do for such citations.

    I add "{{closed access}} " (including that space) before the
citation template.
    I set the parameter |subscription=yes
    If there is an OCLC # available, I set the parameter |oclc= so that
a reader can go find the print source in a library.
    If it is appropriate to include the parameter |issn= along with or
instead of the |oclc= parameter, then I use that.

For some universities, colleges, & libraries, access to some online
database will be free to their students / faculty / staff / patrons, so
there definitely is a value to including to URL or DOI for those cases.

Yours,
Peaceray
--
User:Peaceray