Hi all,

As Lila’s email said, we launched our end of year English fundraising
campaign on Tuesday. I wanted to share a little more background on the
mechanics of the English Wikipedia campaign, and where we are on our goals
this year to-date.

Starting today, banners are being shown to 100% of anonymous readers on
English Wikipedia in the US, UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. Our end
of year campaign goal is $20 million. As Lila mentioned, our goal is to
serve more powerful reminders to be able to limit the total number of
banners each reader sees. We are constantly experimenting with new methods
to reach our readers and optimize the donation experience.

Around the world, banners have been showing to a low level of traffic since
the start of the fiscal year in July. We have also run campaigns to 100% of
traffic in Japan, South Africa, Malaysia, Netherlands, Austria, Italy,
Belgium, and France. These campaigns have shown good results, and we look
forward to sharing more detail in our regular annual fundraising report.

If you spot any errors or have problems donating, your can reach us quickly
at:   problemsdonat...@wikimedia.org

We also anticipate some of you will want to know more about this process
and may have questions. If you have questions or comments, please let us
know on our Meta talk page: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Fundraising

We look forward to answering your questions to the best of our ability, but
the team has limited resources and everyone will be working at an increased
pace in December, particularly during the launch week (12/2-12/5).
Unfortunately, this means we will not be able to respond to questions on
Wikimedia-l as they arise -- so instead we have set aside time to review
your questions on Meta, and post an update by December 15 and again in
January.

Thank you again for all your support now and throughout the year!

Megan

Megan Hernandez

Director of Online Fundraising
Wikimedia Foundation