phoebe ayers, 20/01/2015 23:42:
suggests relying
on*us*  for persistent identifier stability:

Hmm I'm not sure that's what it's written there.

However, relatedly, also today: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/01/26/cobweb «The footnote, a landmark in the history of civilization, took centuries to invent and to spread. It has taken mere years nearly to destroy. [...] The footnote problem, though, stands a good chance of being fixed. Last year, a tool called Perma.cc was launched.» I looked into perma.cc some time ago but I had never read such an emphatic supporter yet. (Their stats also seem rather flat lately.)

The two articles combined make me wonder: if I cite a Wikimedia projects page in a long-term document, should I link something like perma.cc or to the oldid? I prefer the oldid, because I think it's every website's responsibility to offer really permanent links. But if such a permalink/archival service was offered by a national library with the guarantees of legal deposit... then I wouldn't be sure.

Nemo