On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 7:32 AM, Cristian Consonni <kikkocrist...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Il 25/Gen/2015 12:18 "Martin Kraft" <martin.kr...@gmx.de> ha scritto:
> > Did I miss some aspect? Is there a point in converting something visual
> into something visual?
>
> I have been told that people born deaf find more easy to read things in
> sign language. I imagine it like the difference between reading something
> written in your mother tongue and reading something in another language you
> know.

Yes, I had a deaf student who opened my eyes to this -- he wanted to create
a video site for the deaf that would have signed videos and movies. He had
staffers and volunteers take viral YouTube videos and "sign" them for the
deaf.

My first question was, wouldn't reading subtitles simply solve the problem?
Why do you need to do ASL versions?

He gave me an annoyed look. It's something the deaf community finds
frustrating to explain to outsiders.

There's a reason its called American SIGN LANGUAGE and not "signed English
language." It's a primary language in itself, and reading off the screen is
as inferior an experience as if we read the subtitles with the sound off.

-Andrew