Thanks for the news, Michelle, and good luck to the Legal team as this case
moves forward. :)

That being said, I am concerned that the Foundation seems to give unequal
airtime to U.S.-specific issues, while not really doing much about similar
issues in other parts of the world.  Much of my analysis of the issue is on
Quora, which everyone on this list may read about here:
https://www.quora.com/Wikimedia-Lawsuit-Against-the-NSA-2015/How-do-Wikipedia-editors-feel-about-the-lawsuit-against-NSA/answer/Josh-Lim-8

<https://www.quora.com/Wikimedia-Lawsuit-Against-the-NSA-2015/How-do-Wikipedia-editors-feel-about-the-lawsuit-against-NSA/answer/Josh-Lim-8>.

Regards,

Josh

> [...]
> addressing the community's justified concerns. We believe that the
> surveillance methods being employed by the NSA under the authority of the FISA
> Amendments Act
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_Intelligence_Surveillance_Act_of_1978_Amendments_Act_of_2008>
> negatively impact our users' ability and willingness to participate in our
> projects. Today, we fight back.
>
> An op-ed
> <http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/10/opinion/stop-spying-on-wikipedia-users.html?_r=0>
> by Lila and Jimmy about the lawsuit, and Wikimedia's stance on government
> surveillance, appeared in The New York Times this morning. Additionally, we
> just published a blog post
> <https://blog.wikimedia.org/2015/03/10/wikimedia-v-nsa/> with more
> information about the suit. (The post will also up on Meta for translation).
>
> Best,
>

> Michelle Paulson
>
> Senior Legal Counsel
>
> Wikimedia Foundation
>
> mpaul...@wikimedia.org
>
> [1] We are being represented by the American Civil Liberties Union
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Civil_Liberties_Union> (ACLU).
> Other plaintiffs include The National Association of Criminal Defense
> Lawyers <http://www.nacdl.org/>, Human Rights Watch
> <http://www.hrw.org/>, Amnesty
> International USA <http://www.amnestyusa.org/>, Pen American Center
> <https://www.pen.org/>, Global Fund for Women
> <http://www.globalfundforwomen.org/>, The Nation Magazine
> <http://www.thenation.com/>, The Rutherford Institute
> <https://www.rutherford.org/>, and Washington Office on Latin America
> <http://www.wola.org/>.
>
> [2] Other named defendants include: Michael Rogers
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_S._Rogers>, in his official capacity
> as Director of the National Security Agency
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Director_of_the_National_Security_Agency>
> and Chief of the Central Security Service; Office of the Director of
> National Intelligence
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Director_of_National_Intelligence>; James
> Clapper <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_R._Clapper>, in his official
> capacity as Director of National Intelligence; and Eric Holder
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Holder>, in his official capacity
> as Attorney
> General <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Attorney_General> of
> the United States.
>

> *NOTICE: This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you
> have received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
> mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation and for legal/ethical
> reasons, I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
> members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
> on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer

JAMES JOSHUA G. LIM
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science
Class of 2013, Ateneo de Manila University
Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines

jamesjoshua...@yahoo.com <mailto:jamesjoshua...@yahoo.com> | +63 (915) 321-7582
Facebook/Twitter: akiestar | Wikimedia: Sky Harbor
http://about.me/josh.lim <http://about.me/josh.lim>