On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 7:34 AM, Pine W <wiki.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Luis (wow, I didn't expect to see you here at this hour!)
>
> I was referring to the qualifications, benefits and limitations of the
> different kinds of grant programs. The way that they're structured provides
> some ups and downs for affiliates when we have the option to choose among
> grant types. FDC/APG's structure recieved a lot of attention in the past
> few years. I think it would be good to take a step back and look
> collectively at the grants programs, and to think about how to engineer
> them with today's environment, goals and tools for affiliates, small teams
> and individual grantees in mind; and to think about transition points among
> grant types.
>
> I would love to talk with you more about this at the Wikimedia Conference
> if possible (:

As WMF continues to focus on "integration" as a major theme in 2015, we'll
certainly be giving the big picture of all our grantmaking structures,
impact assessments, etc some further thought. Any updates to grant programs
would happen in consult with the committees and broader community, so you
can expect that the program officers and I will be having more
conversations on this topic with you all over the coming year (no sudden
changes, lots of measured thought).
Cheers,
Siko

> Pine
> On Apr 7, 2015 11:20 PM, "Luis Villa" <lvi...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 11:13 PM, Pine W <wiki.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Just noting that annual plans can go through APG or PEG, but the
> > > qualificattions and scope are different. Some chapers choose to
> continue
> > > with PEG funding becuase it is more flexible. The main limiter on PEG
> > > funding is that it  will not pay for full time permanent staff; however
> > > according to Meta it may pay for part time or temporary staff.
> > >
> > > APGs and PEGs for annual plans are usually recurring, but PEG funds a
> > > variety of programs in addition to annual plans.
> > >
> > > This is the kind of conversation that I hope Luis and his team will be
> > > considering holistically in the next several months.
> > >

> > Katy of course is part of my team, so we're here, having a conversation
> :)
> > Can you elaborate a bit, Pine? You've done a good job answering MZ's
> > question, so I'm not clear what conversation you meant to highlight -
> > simply suggestions on how to improve the pages MZ linked to, or...?
> >
> > Luis
> >

> > --
> > Luis Villa
> > Sr. Director of Community Engagement
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > *Working towards a world in which every single human being can freely
> share
> > in the sum of all knowledge.*

Siko Bouterse
Director of Community Resources