Oh, it's not about the idea of banners or about their usual performance,
it's about this particular ribbon. When I set anonnotice or sitenotice on a
big wiki, I aim the statement to be aligned with UX... discoveries. Don't
set extensive dark backgrounds (unless it's about to be
accessibility-oriented), use one colour palette, don't use many icons,
borders or any additional/unnecessary/redundant elements in general, be
consistent. WMF has UX team (it even has a Visual Experience Designer), I
kindly suggest to watch their efforts and make our users benefit from that.