I should note it was a WMF design consultant that did this and not a
volunteer (well - that it was not a committee volunteer I can verify). My
understanding was they were working from UX team's guidelines as they
design other banners for WMF. The request that we received was to go with a
banner design that was intentionally not the same as others. However, I
will pass the notes along for the next designs.

Also, I recognize it wasn't about the banner's existence or performance - I
meant that I hear complaints about the design of nearly every banner that
goes up. I cannot, off the top of my head, think of a recent banner that I
haven't heard a few folks offer opinions about improving the look of. My
personal opinion is that it's an ongoing process, and the banners used
often reflect a snapshot in strategies being tried at that exact moment.

-greg