Nou Nouill <nounou...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

> So, I want to ask if the Foundation have a plan to improve Geohack ? I have
> the impression when I see https://tools.wmflabs.org that Geohack was mainly
> maintain by volunteer, but for me Geohack is a core item of the Wikimedia
> sphere. So I don't understand that situation since few years. I hope it's
> the place to do this comment.

There is a task about moving Geohack to production
(https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T102960; "Move geohack to
production").  However in the WMF cluster there is also al-
ready Extension:MapSources
(https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:MapSources)
deployed on the Wikivoyage sites, so (IMHO) it is more use-
ful to expand on that foundation.

The problems Geohack faced in the past (AFAICT) can be
mostly attributed to failures in the Labs infrastructure, so
moving the functionality to an ("internal") extension would
improve the availability (or to put in another way: If Geo-
hack/Extension:MapSources would /then/ fail, Wikipedia would
be down as well :-)).

Tim