I agree, that banner does not reflect the values of this movement. Pure and
simple; it's not a grey area, and not worth my time to discuss for the 97th
time.

Personally, I long ago gave up participating in these discussions, for the
most part -- because the same valid points get made over and over again,
and the same *AWFUL* errors are made year after year in the fund-raising
campaign.

Leila's post here is heartening, and I'm glad that somebody has the energy
to articulate the concerns so well. I, myself, do not; I have simply lost
faith in the integrity of the Wikimedia Foundation's fund-raising
operation. I am, honestly, ashamed to tell people that I used to work in
the fund-raising department there (though I believe the work we did was
valuable).

I recently heard from a high-ranking executive at a software company. She
told me that she had given money to the Wikimedia Foundation, and then
looked into the WMF's budget, and the messages in the campaign she had
responded to. The word she used to describe her feeling was "mortified."
She had considered asking for her money back, but had decided against it.

Fortunately, she was sophisticated enough not apply her negative feelings
to Wikipedia, but rather to the Wikimedia Foundation. But can the WMF
afford to assume that will always be the case?

Apparently, the thinking thus far is, "yes."

-Pete
[[User:Peteforsyth]]