IMHO the winner is not the best example of contributing to Commons as the
high resolution image wasnt uploaded until after it had been announced as
the winner
and when you read the rules it says "*Please submit images that are as
large as possible and do not “downsize for the web”. We value high
resolution images for many purposes including print.**...*."
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Wiki_Loves_Earth_2015/Rules_%26_FAQ
and yet that is exactly what the winner has done

GN.
President Wikimedia Australia