Hi, there's a lot of review and analyze about TPP because not only in the
States we will have potential strong legal modifications. In Wikimedia
Mexico we are aware since one year ago at least following the analysis of
other NGOs devoted to internet freedom and copyright which can be a
potential risk to Wikimedia mission.

The main issue in the next days is that the extension of the revealed text
needs to have much analysis to have clear points that can be potential
risks to our mission.

Thanks,

> On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 9:22 AM, Ryan Kaldari <rkald...@wikimedia.org>
> wrote:
>
> > I don't see anything in the TPP requiring retroactive application of
> > copyright terms. We'll have to wait and see how the various countries
> > choose to apply the new terms. Applying terms retroactively is uncommon,
> > but possible. We also have no idea when these countries are actually
> going
> > to apply the new terms.
> >

> I don't think it's uncommon, the US is the odd one out on this (or almost
> out, since in the end it did apply Berne  terms retroactively). For example
> the EU Copyright Directive prescribes a death + 70 copyright term so
> countries joining the EU restore copyright to all works for which they had
> shorter protection. International copyright treaties tend to be retroactive
> by default; "works shall be protected for X years after the death of the
> author" applies to all works, whether they are in the public domain
> currently or not.
>
> From the regulator's point of view this is reasonable; the point of these
> treaties is harmonization of the law, and harmonizing the protection term
> of one group of works but leaving another group protected in some countries
> and unprotected in others doesn't really make sense. The alternative would
> be a rule of the shorter term, but the US does not have that, and they are
> the driving force behind TPP, so...

*Iván Martínez*

*Presidente - Wikimedia México A.C.User:ProtoplasmaKid @protoplasmakid*

Hemos creado la más grande colección de conocimiento compartido. Ayuda a
proteger a Wikipedia, dona ahora:
https://donate.wikimedia.org