There is a piece by Wes on the website of the Knight Foundation[1] and an
additional FAQ on Discovery's "Knowledge Engine" development on
MediaWiki.[2]

The Knight Foundation funds many things, and is a past donor to the
Wikimedia Foundation--but I'm aware that the Knight Foundation is also
Google's partner in "Newsgeist".[3][4]

[1]
http://www.knightfoundation.org/blogs/knightblog/2016/1/6/exploring-how-people-discover-knowledge-wikipedia-and-its-sister-projects/
[2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Discovery/FAQ