I'm thinking similarly in terms of distributing tasks broadly among an
array of Wikimedia affiliates instead of concentrating so many of them in a
single entity. Recent events have highlighted the systemic problems that
happen when WMF takes a stance against its volunteer communities (such as
with VisualEditor and Superprotect) or has governance, management, or
integrity issues (as with the situations with James, Jimbo, and Arnnon).

Transitioning to a federated model of Wikimedia infrastructure and funding
may be tricky. I the long term I am thinking that a federated model would
increase the resilience of the ecosystem as a whole because the systemic
risk from a problem in any one affiliate would be much lower than the risks
that we have with so much centralization in a single organization,
particularly when I personally feel that its WMF Board is misaligned with
the values of the movement that it was intended so support.

Pine