Though my intent was neither ironic nor cynical, Jane is right -- my email
last night was probably not as clear as it could have been.

As I see it, senior leadership (the board and the executive director) have
a special responsibility to help us all keep track of the bigger picture.
But senior leadership has been pretty silent lately, even as many staff and
community members talk about the bigger picture. Lila did write a blog post
last week,[1] but it was utterly unrelated to most of the concerns
expressed by community members. It seems likely to me that she did not
avail herself of the talents of her Communications team, which I imagine
could have told her that particular blog post would not help anything, and
could have steered her in a more productive direction. Instead, it fell to
two engineers (in the comment thread [2]) to offer the kind of commentary
that is actually helpful.

Andreas sent a message which is either (a) curious but not especially
useful, or (b) offers insight into where the organization has been trying
to go since 2008. If there should be any comment from senior leadership at
all, I would expect it to address (b); no comment at all might be
appropriate if (a).

But the *immediate* reply comes from somebody who has only been involved
since 2014 (rather than, say, Jimmy or Alice, who could speak more readily
to what has been going on since 2008). More significantly, it includes the
words "on my watch," which suggests to me that something unhealthy is going
on. We should not be in a state where leaders are more concerned about
their individual reputations, than about broad consideration of Wikimedia's
relationship with Google.

I find it fascinating because it is so very different from what I would
expect in professional communication, and depressing because it suggests
that the WMF has simply lost touch with what is important.

-Pete
[[User:Peteforsyth]]

[1] http://blog.wikimedia.org/2016/02/16/wikimedia-search-future/
[2]