> On 11 May 2016, at 22:07, James Forrester <jforres...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
> On 11 May 2016 at 12:50, Michael Peel <em...@mikepeel.net> wrote:
>
>> Isn't it time to start moving to responsive mediawiki templates (
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responsive_web_design), rather than having
>> a separate mobile interface/URL?
>

>> For a practical example, see the BBC News website (
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news), which is the same website on all devices, it
>> just rescales the content/navigation/layout to suit the device. (Try
>> resizing your web browser on your computer to the size of a mobile web
>> browser to see what I mean.)
>>

> ​Hey Mike,
>
> I think you're confusing two things – a single skin with responsive design
> for all users on all devices, which is a long-term ambition, but for the
> Reading department to talk about :-) – and responsive templates for
> content, which we're working on in terms of scoped styling for templates
> through TemplateStyles (
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:TemplateStyles, though by "we" I
> mostly mean Coren as a volunteer developer). This second one is going
> through security review right now, but once that's complete we'll enable it
> for testing and gradual roll-out.
>
> Scoped styling of templates will let template authors make their templates
> work on any sized device, which will massively improve the terrible
> experience from templates like infoboxes, navboxes, amboxes, and especially
> one-off templates like those used by the Signpost. However, it'll need a
> concerted effort from all of us to re-write and improve all the thousands
> of templates across our hundreds of wikis to make this a reality. It
> requires judgement, æsthetics and expertise, and so isn't something that
> can be done automatically by software. It's a big effort, but it's going to
> be worth it. :-)

When I said templates here I meant skins - sorry for using confusing/outdated
terminology (back when I was last developing website skins, they were called
templates!). It's great to hear that they're being worked on - mediawiki
template styles are definitely something that need improving in the near future
(hopefully along with table styles, since they are currently horribly displayed
on mobiles). I'm hoping that having a responsive skin for the webpages isn't
too far off, though?

Thanks,
Mike