On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 9:02 PM, Steven Walling
<steven.wall...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's really great to see Wikipedia highlighted as a source for news and
> current events. It's rare that people fully recognize the degree to which
> the "encyclopedia" is actually very good at trending news information. That
> said, the report paints a rosy picture that, strategically speaking, may
> not be cause for celebration.
>
> Remember that, when looking at pageviews, we're a little over 40% mobile.
> Most other major Internet properties are now primarily mobile, and that's
> where most media consumption is even in once desktop-centric markets like
> the US.(1)
>
> Has Dario or anyone done an update on the traffic analysis from 2014,(2)
> where we concluded that declining desktop traffic in mature markets like
> the US was not being offset by mobile web?
Yes, in the February metrics meeting
(https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File%3AWMF_Metrics_%26_Activities_Meeting_February_2016.pdf&page=40
, see also
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikimedia_monthly_pageviews_(worldwide,_mobile_vs_desktop),_2013-2016.png
). We left out the US-specific part, but still discussed how
mobile/desktop has been developing in the Global North vs. the Global
South.

> What's the current state of the
> world when it comes to Wikipedia mobile traffic, overall and broken down by
> app vs. mobile web?
Last week about 45% of our pageviews were on mobile web and a bit over
1% came from the apps. See also the readership metrics reports
(https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikimedia_readership_metrics_reports
).

> It seems obvious that part of the reason Wikipedia is so popular on mobile
> web is because we're an odd duck -- Wikimedia is one of the only top media
> orgs not doing any kind of app upsell at all on mobile web. The vast
> majority of major Internet properties heavily push app installs and usage
> to varying degrees of aggressiveness. This directly sacrifices mobile web
> traffic for a longterm gain in reader retention.
>
> The linked report shows that Wikipedia app users are much more engaged --
> avg time spent per person in the Wikipedia app is more than double that of
> mobile web, according to their data -- but the number of app users is
> ridiculously tiny, relatively speaking.(3)
True. At the same time (which doesn't negate your point), it's also
worth being aware that absolutely speaking, the Wikipedia app(s) still
had more monthly US users than those of Buzzfeed, USA Today and Fox
News, according to the study.

> In commercial apps, prioritizing
> long term retention of app users is good for a business. They can then be
> converted to subscribers, purchase in-app upgrades, or click on ads. In the
> Wikimedia context, greater mobile retention and time spent could be used to
> teach people to contribute, and to facilitate less aggressive forms of
> mobile fundraising than we've previously had to do. Not to mention
> providing readers with faster direct access to knowledge, and doing a
> better job of teaching mobile-first US in emerging markets what Wikipedia
> is.
Food for thought. (CCing the Mobile-l list again)

> Neglecting to show people the value of the apps will help grow mobile web
> traffic in the short term, but in the long run may leave us entirely
> dependent on search (i.e. Google) or simply not growing readers, despite
> millions of people still coming online via mobile. In the report data you
> can see that most of the US news sites mentioned are dependent on Facebook,
> even if they have an app. Unlike them, Wikipedia has an opportunity to get
> away from being dependent on another source for readers, and be one of the
> primary apps that every person on the planet uses, alongside Facebook,
> messaging tools, and similar. Right now, we're squandering that
> opportunity, and it's going to get harder to change as time goes on.
>
> 1.
> http://techcrunch.com/2014/08/21/majority-of-digital-media-consumption-now-takes-place-in-mobile-apps/
> 2.
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:2014_Readership_Update,_WMF_Metrics_Meeting,_December.pdf
> 3.
> https://medium.com/mobile-first-news-how-people-use-smartphones-to/news-goes-mobile-how-people-use-smartphones-to-access-information-53ccb850d80a#.ofpb8txup
>
> On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 12:50 PM Michael Peel <em...@mikepeel.net> wrote:
>
>> Isn't it time to start moving to responsive mediawiki templates (
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responsive_web_design), rather than having
>> a separate mobile interface/URL?
>>
>> For a practical example, see the BBC News website (
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news), which is the same website on all devices, it
>> just rescales the content/navigation/layout to suit the device. (Try
>> resizing your web browser on your computer to the size of a mobile web
>> browser to see what I mean.)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mike
>>
>> > On 11 May 2016, at 20:36, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijs...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hoi,
>> > It is wonderful to see how we have evolved.. Does anyone remember the
>> good
>> > old days when it was an application totally and utterly outside of
>> > MediaWiki?
>> > Thanks,
>> >     GerardM

Tilman Bayer