Hello, again! As the attachment is not working I will provide it below:
The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a passionate and collaborative
General Counsel to join our executive team in San Francisco. As a member of
the team General Counsel will help us all think and act in service of the
legal future of our projects and the Foundation. We’re looking for a
candidate who is mission driven, transparent by default, and has a global
focus. A candidate who can deepen our legal department’s tradition of
finding innovative and collaborative approaches to its work that upholds
and advances the Wikimedia movement’s values.
- Work with the executive team to think and act in service of the future
of our projects (e.g. How will we sustain free knowledge over the next
decade? What is the role of an innovative legal department in that future?
Which partnerships will we need to pull it off? How will we engage a
community of nearly a hundred thousand strong to make it a reality?).
- Advise the Board of Trustees and Executive Director and legal matters
and help develop practices and policies.
- Keep Foundation leadership current on legal and policy developments
throughout the world that may affect Wikimedia and recommend a path
- Advise on legal risks and recommend mitigation strategies.
- Serve as Secretary to the Foundation’s Board of Trustees.
- Provide legal advice and support the Board of Trustees.
- Support board governance and compliance with applicable laws,
Wikimedia bylaws, and Wikimedia policies.
- Maintain Board of Trustee records and review meeting minutes.
- Develop a strong, diverse legal team guided by a clear vision.
- Set the vision / direction for a team of over a dozen lawyers,
paralegals, and fellows.
- Clarify or delegate the planning to make it happen: the roles, the
responsibilities, the budget.
- Build a pipeline of successors.
- Counsel and mentor the legal team across a broad range of subject
areas and jurisdictions.
- Direct the Foundation’s defensive litigation around the world and
pursue claims against others when appropriate.
- Set the direction for the Foundation’s public policy activities,
which may include supporting or opposing legal change, partnering with
other stakeholders, filing amicus briefs and interventions, and
- Ensure Foundation-created software and publications embody movement
values by using and complying with free copyright licenses.
- Ensure the Foundation’s compliance with applicable laws and
regulations, including employment law, intellectual property law, and
- Update and delegate enforcement of site policies, such as the terms
- Support other departments in negotiating and drafting the
Foundation’s contracts, grant agreements, and other commercial
- Continue the Foundation’s stewardship and global protection of the
- Engage the international Wikimedia communities every step of the way
- Consult the Wikimedia communities on strategy and decisions.
- Act as the public face of the Foundation’s legal department, to the
Wikimedia community as well as the general public.
- Support and meet with Wikimedia movement organizations and
individual users to resolve issues, maintain Foundation
promote Wikimedia movement values.
- Candidate has mastered the role of GC or senior in-house legal leader
(10+ years experience practicing law), has a fluid understanding across
multiple areas of domestic and international law, including litigation,
intellectual property, privacy, and free expression.
- Candidate must already understand or quickly grasp free culture / free
software / open source principles and values.
- Candidate must, at the time of hire and throughout their employment as
General Counsel, be authorized to practice law in California, either as a
member in good standing of the State Bar of California or as a registered
in-house counsel with the State Bar of California.
- Candidate demonstrates knowledge and understanding of cultures beyond
the United States, and the ability to work with an international,
- Strong history of community service, and experience with volunteer,
mission-driven or open culture organizations. Candidate must be fluent in
English and have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience working with online communities, particularly as part of
the free culture movement.
- Experience managing legal departments at global technology or Internet
- Experience leading successful advocacy or public policy functions.
- Experience with nonprofit governance, nonprofit law, and supporting
boards of directors.
- Fluency in languages other than English.
- Experience with FLOSS.
- Passion for or experience contributing to Wikipedia and the other
*About the Wikimedia Foundation*
The Wikimedia Foundation is the non-profit organization that supports and
hosts Wikipedia and its sister free knowledge sites. Wikipedia consists of
nearly 40 million articles across hundreds of languages. Every month, more
than 80,000 volunteer editors contribute to Wikipedia. Based in San
Francisco, California, the Wikimedia Foundation is an audited, 501(c)(3)
non-profit that is funded primarily through donations and grants. It
currently employs over 240 staff members.
At the Foundation, we build technology to help people everywhere access
Wikipedia, across devices and in nearly 300 languages. We engineer privacy
for our readers and editors so they can safely and securely explore
Wikipedia. We create programs
<https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Zero> and initiatives to
make Wikipedia freely available to more people in more parts of the world.
We build new tools <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Content_translation> for
the community of editors so they can continue to improve and grow
Wikipedia. Roughly a quarter of our budget goes to supporting the community
that make the site possible, including through grantmaking programs
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Start> that enable volunteers and
enrich the information on the sites.
*Benefits & Perks **
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their
eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul
activities such as fitness memberships, massages, cooking classes and much
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public
transportation and parking expenses
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life
insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of
treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of
languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse,
mission-driven and intensely passionate people
* for benefits eligible staff, benefits may vary by location
On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 4:48 PM, Amy Elder <ael...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Over the past few weeks, we have been working with the Legal and executive
> teams to develop a job description (attached) for the General Counsel
> role. I would like to share it with you early as well, before the job
> description is posted and the process starts. I am very grateful to our
> legal staff and leaders here at the WMF for collaborating on both the
> description and the process.
> If you have any nominations or recommendations, please email me directly
> over the next few days.
> Thank you all for engaging.
> With appreciation,
> Amy Elder
> Director of Recruiting
> Wikimedia Foundation
> Join Us: WorkWithUs <https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Work_with_us>
> Follow us on Twitter @wikimediaatwork
Director of Recruiting
Join Us: WorkWithUs <https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Work_with_us>
Connect with me on LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/amyelder>
Follow us on Twitter @wikimediaatwork
*Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the
sum of all knowledge. **That's our commitment and you can help continue to
make it a reality: *https://donate.wikimedia.org/ and
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
New messages to: Wikimediafirstname.lastname@example.org