Just a general observation:  Making things "global" can be good or bad for
non-wikipedia projects depending on how it's done; spreading uniformity
across projects could also damage non-wikipedia projects by imposing
inappropriate infrastructure.  I'm not totally cynical about the idea, just
noting one needs to be careful.  (A case that comes to mind:  I use HotCat
all the time on Wikinews, which in some important ways is as different from
Wikipedia as a wiki can be, yet HotCat is atm inappropriate for Wikibooks
and could cause problems there.)