A frustrating reason why it is difficult to "use green energy" in general
is because of the secret accords between Franklin D. Rosevelt and King Faud
of Saudi Arabia just after the end of WWII, wherein, according to the BBC
documentary "Bitter Lake," the U.S. agreed to uninterrupted purchases of
Saudi oil in return for regional security in the Middle East. The U.S. Navy
has been sending masters' students to MIT to work on shipboard synthesis of
liquid diesel fuel from the carbonate in seawater since the 1970s, and the
U.S. Strategic "Petroleum" reserve stopped announcing purchases in the
1990s when the number of oilers assigned to carrier groups and their port
fuel purchases both declined sharply. The SPR still frequently announces
sales, however.

Google recently developed a prototype of liquid transportation fuels
synthesis from the dialysis of carbonate in seawater, which incidentally
produces large quantities of fresh water as a byproduct:
http://x.company/explorations/foghorn

Other researchers have developed similar ways to recycle the flue exhaust
from natural gas power plants: http://bit.ly/co2-ccr

Both of these U.S. projects stopped abruptly, supposedly because they were
not economical at the retail cost of power, and the researchers refuse to
discuss the reasons that they did not calculate the cost of their outputs
from off-peak power. I recommend efforts to encourage resumption of these
projects using discounted nighttime wind power (which as per
http://freenights.txu.com is so inexpensive as to be entirely free at
retail in Texas, where some Foundation datacenters are located) as a more
effective means of minimizing environmental impact than merely contracting
for renewable energy.

Merkel's Germany and her neighbors in Europe have developed a vibrant
power-to-gas research and nascent industrial infrastructure which the U.S.
Department of Energy has never yet touched because of the corrupt U.S. "all
of the above" strategy of catering to fossil fuel producers because of
their political power in this political environment where unlimited amounts
of money from any source can be funneled to politicians' campaigns. If the
Bitter Lake accords are in the way of lessening environmental impact,
another approach would be to encourage national leaders to talk about how
the increasing use of non-supply limited renewables and concordant
continued decline in the price of all energy via power-to-gas and
gas-to-liquids infrastructure which is already built out in Europe and
Qatar (the Pearl GTL plant produces about 10% of Royal Dutch Shell's fuel
output) will effect geopolitical crises. I am convinced that Syria would
not have had a refugee crisis if they were producing their own fresh water
as a byproduct of Project Foghorn-style fuel from the carbon in seawater
instead of having to depend on changing weather patterns.

The heart of the question is: can alleviating pressure of scarce energy
resources, and in turn alleviating the scarcity all of the goods and
services in the real economy that energy underpins, provide more
geopolitical security than a 70 year old secret agreement to buy peace by
uninterrupted purchases of oil?

Another important consideration is that recycled carbon can be used for
more than just carbon neutral fuel. Researchers such as those working on
http://co2-chemistry.eu can use recycled carbon as plastic feedstock,
allowing structural plastic fiberglass composite lumber to replace most if
not almost all of the wood timber used in construction, allowing
reforestation.

Could the Endowment be chartered to ask the same environmental
responsibility of the directors and officers of its investments?

Best regards,
Jim Salsman