Hi,

Despite I've published my open letter to Samuel Legoff, chairman of
Wikimedia France on the English international mailing-list, I received
quite positive feedback from French members  or former members. See the
translation in English  of this open letter below.

I regret that Samuel did not allow formaly, as I asked him, any former or
current employee to freely speak with the Foundation auditors therefore to
release those concerned of any confidentiality clause they have signed. And
I found biased the way how the board has informed members last friday that
finally an Extraordinary General Meeting will be held on september  (they
could not avoid it as 25% of the members have requested it), given very few
informations to the members and still denied the deep crisis of Wikimedia
France.

For information, a first press article about the WMFr crisis have been
released on the website of L'Obs <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27Obs>
http://tempsreel.nouvelobs.com/rue89/rue89-nos-vies-connectees/20170718.OBS2248/exclusions-menaces-budget-recale-c-est-la-crise-chez-wikimedia-france.html

Best regards

Thierry

---------------------------------

Samuel

Those last weeks, former employees and members or former members of the
association, some I do not know, have contacted me to ask if I was aware of
the Wikimedia France current situation. They wanted to know my thoughts and
what could be done to handle the situation. Although it is gratifying to be
aknowledged, both for my skills and the work accomplished for WMFr, given
my sudden departure from Wikimedia France in December 2012, I intentionnaly
did'nt get involved nor communicated. First because I commited to this and,
for my part, I've strictly complied to this obligation. But more
importantly because I've turned the page of Wikimedia France. However I
must say it wasn't an easy task the year following my departure because what
happened to the excellent team of employees I had managed.

But several facts made me rethink the context. The latest developments of
what could unfortunately be called the WMFr affair or WMFrGate with the
revolt of many members facing Wikimedia France drift, the risk of a divorce
between French wikipedian community and Wikimedia France with the bad
feelings of some WP editors (for example, a call for a boycott, fortunately
not yet significant, for the next fundraising part of which supports
Wikimedia France) and while a national chapter is useful to support
Wikimedia projects. But above all, the risk that the Wikipedia in French
will be damaged when this affair will be released to the media. Your recent
and staggering e-mail convinced me to break my four year silence.

I do not know you well Samuel. You became active in the association shortly
before I left. But for the short time I did know of you, you seemed to me
as a calm and measured person. With your extensive professional experience
as a parliamentary assistant and now as a journalist, I thought that the
position of chairman would finally be fully assumed in a balanced and
united way. Recent in this position, you have inherited a degraded
situation left by your predecessors. You had the opportunity to fix it, to
decrease the pressure, to stop some of the association's current drifts and
to listen to the protestors. I know several of them, and who are far from
the band of trolls as they were awkwardly described by the association 's
vice-president. Many are involved and well recognized Wikipedians and some
of them initiated or strongly contributed to the recent WMFr's success
(Wikicheese, MOOC ..). I am therefore amazed by the violence of your
remarks, by what I perceive as a denial of reality, with a unique point of
view. You do not seem to realize the damage that this may cause to the
association but also to the French Wikipedia.

I go through quickly the paragrah that could concern me where you wrongly
state that  « *since 2013, when the employees management created many (but
classic) human and legal difficulties, which have been overcome since with
this decision* »  (ed. the appointment of Nathalie Martin as Executive
Director).  As Chairman, I hope you will get a similar experience that I
had as a Executive Director: a motivated team of employees, happy to work
for Wikimedia France (no staff turnover), appreciated by the Wikipedia
community and the Wikimedia volunteers and with a very efficient ratio
Results (Glam, education, fundraising ...) / Costs   (the wages were very
reasonable even probably a little low and for the rest I was very vigilant
on the use of donators money). So there were no human or legal problem
despite of your statement. But your remarks illustrate the gap that now
exists in the association since several members and former employees
associate the beginning of human and legal problems with this decision.

Your e-mail has been  forwarded and translated in English through the
Wikimedia international mailing-list by Chris Keating, a renowned English
wikimedian, involved in the British chapter and who I think was a former
member of the FDC. Then it was widely commented by Wikimedians many of whom
know how a chapter works as well as its relations with the community of
editors. The comments are harsh  (Chris even evokes the possibility that
Wikimedia France loses the Foundation agreement which allows chapters to
use Wikimedia trademarks). You were even called a liar. I disagree with
that. You're not lying, you are wrong. Some of your comments are
objectively inaccurate. I think because of your unwareness of the law and
association management. In my opinion, the substance of your remarks
reflects a bias view, or under influence, of the situation, I do not know
which term to choose because I can not explain it to myself.

I will start by responding to general points you made about labor law, the
board's responsibility or the employees' protection. You say several
inaccurate things. I think WMFr members have the right to get accurate
informations on those issues.

I quote  :

« *Different requests contrary to the social law and the operations of the
association emerge regularly: to assist the leadership during recruitment
interviews, to be able to criticize without having the elements regarding
the quality of the work done, to choose to sanction or not ... And even
that sanctions can be discussed during Members General Meeting.*»

Volunteers assist the management during recruitment interviews, Social Law
does not prohibit it at all. And the Associations Law would encourage it
because it is in the spirit of the Law of 1901 [Ed.: The French fundamental
law for the associations] which defines the association as a pooling of
ressources therefore encourages the association to use all the technical,
intellectual and material means that the members can bring in. Wikimedia
France members, all volunteers that they are, have for many a professional
activity therefore can provide human resources and/or management skills.
They can also have the ability to listen and/or to assess situations but
above all they know how the association works as well as the complex
organization
of the Wikipedia community. An important asset. It is also a way to
optimize the association human and financial resources and to enhance the
skills of its members. The recruitment of the team that I was managing was
conducted this way, and when I was Executive Director, I wanted it to be
maintained (Sébastien's recruitment) even if I made the final decision
after discussing it with the Board. The quality of the recruits and their
work shows the relevance of this model. It has the advantage to avoid any
favoritism or nepotism suspicion. Because on various feedbacks I received,
the recruitment was done solely by the Executive Director and several of
the recruited people had a direct or indirect family connection or are
close to the ED or to Cyrille Bertin. I do not question their competency but
if proven (and as my sources are reliable, I tend to think so), this is
unethical for an association funded by public donations - and lets not
forget - especially since those funds are obtained thanks to the Wikipedian
voluntary work. That forces the association to be beyond reproach on its
main cost center.

Being able «* to issue criticisms without having the elements regarding the
quality of the work done* », it is more sensitive. But volunteers working
with employees and / or being impacted in their Wikimedia / Wikipedia
activities by employees work must be able to criticize. Once more, the
Social Law does not prohibit it. The main issue is  employees do not have
the same freedom than volonteers with the risk that employees were not able
to answer or to defend themselves. But an implementation of rules in
accordance with the Wikimedia ethics and a possible dialogue regarding the
size of the association, can overcome that. The link between volunteers and
employees must be permanent and encouraged, even if it makes management
more difficult, but this makes the Wikimedia France mission easier and that
is what counts.

To  «* choose to sanction or not* ...[ed. Employees]»  I agree. It is up to
the management to make these kind of decision. However, it must be done
within a clear framework defined by the WMFr Board in agreement with a
philosophy discussed within the association and whose principles have been
approved by its members in a General Assembly. This is quite common in the
associative community and it seems mandatory given the specificities of
Wikimedia France, which is evolving in the broader Wikimedia movement and
in the differents projects communities  (Wikipedia, Commons, etc.). This
would have avoided the recent conflict with Jules, who had to choose
between hierachy orders and the Wikipedian ethics. About this dismissal,
you say that still now  « *Jules is bound by a duty of loyalty towards his
employer* ». This is not true, you have broken the employment contract so
the obligation of loyalty has disappeared. His contract may include a
confidentiality clause, but the jurisprudence as severely limited the scope
of this kind of clause, which is often deemed abusive (and for Wikimedia
France a little opposite to its values). On the other hand, it should be
noted that Jules was very loyal to the wikimedia community in his
presentation of events after his dismissal, to the detriment of his
financial interest if he wanted to sue WMFr for this dismissal.

You also mention that « *a "conscience clause" can not be put forward in
this context because a such clause is only defined for journalistic
profession.*». Once more it's incorrect. The conscience clause also exists
for medical professions (see the Wikipedia article on the subject)  but it
has also been implemented in some NGOs and foundations, such as, for
example, corporate foundations where the employees can be in an awkward
position between the stated purpose of the foundation and the company
interest. Thought should be given if a such clause for Wikimedia France
employees should be introduced.

You lose one's temper «* that sanctions could be discuss in the General
Assembly ! *». Nevertheless they can, the law allows it because the General
Assembly is sovereign in an association. I am not saying that this is a
good solution but the Associations laws is quite clear. For example, the
next GA is entitled with a majority vote to oppose the Jules dismissal. For
the good management of an association, it is better to avoid that Employees
management be done this way and therefore I would recommend you set up what
I have just explained.

« *About the responsibility of the board  *», it can only be moral but not
legal. Despite what you claim, the board will never be prosecuted before
the labour court. The members of the board are solely responsible and only
in the event a personal wilful misconduct. Legal liability (and therefore
also criminal liability) in an association seats on the shoulders of the
chairman and, in their respective fields, also on the treasurer and the
secretary, even in the case of simple negligence or "delegation of the
employer authority "  to  the Executive Director.

Regarding employees protection what you say is accurate. The employer has
an obligation to ensure the safety and health protection of its employees
during their work. And as stated above, the employer delegation does not
avoid the association (and therefore its chairman) of its liabilility. But
if I agree for the most part, I regret that it was not stated earlier by
your predecessors. Because, it's my understanding, we are talking about
attacks on the WMFr management (two employees, although like the FDC, I do
not understand  the role of a Deputy Director, occupied by Cyrille Bertin
in relation with WMFr number of employees and budget).  As it has been
reported on the international mailing-list, the general impression conveyed
by your e-mail is that aim is not to safeguard Wikimedia France as you
claim but more to save « soldiers Martin and Bertin ».

Your comment shocks me, when I read what you say in a bit further in your
e-mail on the « suffering » of Nathalie Martin: « *For a movement like ours
that puts forward its values of inclusiveness and transparency, we are* *very
surprised that nothing was set up to take into account the employees
suffering and to ensure the women protection in their workplace.*»

Because when I read this, I don't have Nathalie Martin in mind but former
women employees of Wikimedia France. There was suffering at work in the
association and there stil probably is, the testimonies I have heard
confirmed it and believe me, with my HR experience I'm able to make a
difference between a real suffering and a resentment or a desire for
revenge. The significant WMFr staff turnover was one of the consequences of
this work suffering.

But then I adress the question back to you :  within Wikimedia France what
is « *set up to take into account the employees suffering and to ensure the
women protection in their workplace..* » Why was it never adressed or
discussed by the Board with the members who asked questions about the
employees' management ? As far as I know, they cannot get a clear response,
the Board still hiding behind the argument of "Employer delegation" given
to the Executive Director. Why these employees were not able to express
their uncomfortable feeling or their claimed suffering from their hierarchy?

This full discharge from the Board of the HR component of the association
is a serious mistake. Because the human values that WMFr must bear can be
flouted and the association also loses skills and people of great value. It
would be useful to designate a HR referent within the Board (I believe WMUK
has done so) or better, a committee composed of a few volunteers with
experience in management and / or HR to whom employees can confide freely
and ensure that the  management respects Wikimedia values and that
employees' word is heard. This commitee should also have an interview with
each departing employee, a common practice in many organizations.

Let's see now the subtance of your e-mail.

It does reveal an authoritarianism and a lack of transparency in the
operations of the association that do not correspond to the Wikimedia
France values ​​I knew. You seem to justify the need of a such
authoritarianism by proclaiming that Wikimedia France cannot be managed
like Wikipedia. A sentence I have often heard... Speaking from experience,
Wikimedia France can certainly not be managed like Wikipedia but Wikimedia
France, which Wikipedia's support is its main reason for being and because
of the specific mode of management of this great project, can not be
managed as a classical association. Wikimedia France has to promote the
Wikipedia values ​otherwise the association simply can not meet its
mission. It is therefore necessary to accept to debate, to confront, a
broad freedom of expression of employees and an overlapping, not simple to
manage I acknowledge, between contributors, volunteers and employees. And
employees must be trained for this.

A great transparency has to be promoted and it is up to you, as Chairman of
the Board, to bring this forward. On this subject matter, the litmited
understanding from outside I had was confirmed by my recent exchanges with
members and former employees. The association in recent years has become
less transparent in its management, in its expenses, exposing itself to
criticism and rumors.

Let us take the example of wages, the main association cost center and
which in any association with both employees and volunteers is a critical
point and a source of tension if transparency is not ensured. Let's take
the highest one, the wage of the Executive Director. I heard a lot of it
lately. I've been given very different amounts for her salary which shows
that this subject is a source of rumors and therefore can create potential
tensions in the association.  Based on what I considered reliable sources,
this ED's wage seems to have increased a few months ago from 60 000 € to 72
000 € gross per year. Impossible for me to know  the right amount because
it is not a public information. Yet the top salaries are released to the
public more frequently in associations or NGOs and it is even mandatory in
France (for I think the 3 main salaries) for associations or foundations
that receive public funds. Some Wikimedia chapters have set up such thing :
I remember for example WMUK where the detail of their Executive Director's
remuneration was visible on their members wiki. Why this is not the case in
Wikimedia France, of which you praise the good governance ?

When I was a member of the board and treasurer of the association, I get
adopted by the board a resolution stating that all the association salaries
should be known by the members and in full agreement with the employees to
whom I had explained my approach. To my knowledge, this resolution has not
been repealed, why then is it not implemented ? Especially this was
requested at least once by a member, and the chairman then in position had
avoided to answer indicating that he was going to look into the issue with
the treasurer but ultimately he buried it.

Wages transparency may pose a risk to be exposed to some trolls but has the
great advantage to enforce pay equity between employees (I do not say
equality, their skills and experiences are different) and above all to
provide a "fair" wage because the association has an obligation to justify
its amount to members and  donators. With this lack of transparency, you
induce rumors.

My first reaction on this ED wage was to find it high, given the size of
the employees staff and the budget managed by WMFr and with regard to what
is done in associations of general interest or NGOs in Budget / number of
similar employees in the Paris region. But I could be wrong. I imagine that
the board has not granted this wage without a solid comparative study
(carried out by the Board and not by the Executive Director). Why then not
release it ? As a reminder, I had submitted my Executive Director wage, €
53,000 gross, legal short-term contract bonus included precarious work, to
the approval of members which is a common practice in several associations
and large companies and I was ready to justify this wage before any member.

Mention can also be made of the expenses account, another critical point
for associations.

This need for financial transparency is an absolute requirement due to the
members and the donators. And what am I reading :  « *We also reaffirm that
if members have evidences of wrongdoing, they are in a position to transmit
it to the competent authorities;* *The rest is nothing but hoax and
intimidation*. »

This is clearly not the right answer. Because, here, you are the one who is
intimidating. Are there any rumors of wrongdoing ? Yes, I've heard it.  Are
they well founded ? No idea. And it will also be difficult for members to
get an idea of it, to confirm or deny it,  given the current lock-up of the
association, its insufficient transparency and the very strong employees
expression restrictions. One more difficulty I mentioned above on the
association ethics. The choice of an accountant having a family tie with
Cyrille Bertin (I believe that the previous accountant was a neighbor of
Nathalie Martin). Even if this accountant is competent and integral (let's
be clear, I do not question either one or the other), the lack of ethics in
his appointment made it vulnerable to rumors.

One more time, I will take my personnal exemple. When I was treasurer, I
remember one member who protested in unfriendly terms against what he
considered to be a lack of transparency in the board members travel. I did
not threaten him, I did not tell him to go and file a complaint if he had
any incriminating evidence.
I simply told him that I was at his disposal to show him in detail the
costs and the supporting documents (invoices).  And that he could verify
that this detail was exhaustive because the total costs would correspond to
the total of the accounting line validated by our accountant and the public
auditor (commissaire aux comptes). Wikimedia France now has an accountant,
it would be easy to set up this or even as some Scandinavian public
organizations, to make avalaible with a spreadsheet the precise details of
all the expenses reimbursed or incurred for employees or members. I also
regret the change of the association accountant firm by Nathalie Martin
when she arrived. The accounting firm I had selected from among three
pre-selected by former treasurer Delphine Ménard is headed by a well-known
accountant in Paris area for his expertise on non profit organisation
governance. He would have been good advice.

Another point of your remarks that surprises me is what appears as a denial
of reality considering all I have heard or read these days. You say that
the majority of members support your position. I quote again: « *The recent
consultation with all of our members has confirmed exasperation and
misunderstanding of many of you regarding this denigration that damages the
image of our assocation image** and our projects. *»

There is a credibility problem. The mailing list is moderated and, let us
be honest, anything the management or the board  dislike, is not
published.  Many members say its censorship, to the point to create a other
mailing list followed by many.  If those opposing the management or the
Board are forbidden to speak or are excluded from the association, most
members, many of whom are "passive members" as in many associations, will
only have a filtered or smoothed information, what might be called the
"Party line". Difficult for them to get an objective opinion of the real
situation. How can we trust the consultation you're speaking of ?

You caricatures too easely opponents. Let us take the example of Pyb. I
chose it on purpose because of what I could read it is one of the strongest
opposed members to the current policy of the Direction but also because I
have not been in contact with him since I left the Association at the end
of 2012. He does not correspond to the definition you give of behaviour «*
related only by ego wars and personal bitters*  ». Unless his frequentation
of illustrious characters this last years in his commonist project of
covering the cemetery of Père Lachaise has profoundly changed him, he
doesn't enter in an ego war. He has no reason to be bitter because he is
recognized for his editor work in Wikipedian, commonist and wikisourcian
communities but also for a long time volonteer work with some nice
successes Wikimedia France subsequently highlited for the FDC dotations
(Wikicheese, Wikiconvention...).  Pyb widely embodies the Wikimédia France
values. The association should rather support  the « soldier Pyb » and
others involved members in the association and in the projects even if they
are angry against the current WMFr leadership. The board should hear these
members with a genuine listening, rather than pillories them, when they
think that Wikimédia France values are violated.

The board and you seems to be in disarray facing this requirement of
dialogue and change called for by many members. For example, you're
annoucing  « *with the objectives to give everyone a voice in an open,
constructive and collaborative manner, we will plan after summer vacations
a large meeting in Paris on which we will come back later. * » But a the
same time,  you've slowed down the Extraordinary General Meeting required
by many members. However in an association,  such issues are discussed in
an General Meeting. As the General Meeting is sovereign (over the board or
statuts), decisions may be taken by members, what your  « large meeting »
does not allow therefore less democratic.

You should avoid to threat with lawsuits («*we will promptly take the
appropriate and necessary legal measurements against those engage illegal
actions against employees or board members * »)*. *It's counter-productive,
fearmongering, instils anger and it's widely perceived as a wish to silent
all opposition. Some legal or threats of lawsuits against members of former
employees are disproportionnate relative the accusations against them and,
as you yourself say,  leads to  «* high lawyer fees *». As treasurer or
executive director, I could have been the subject of petty remarks, to take
knocks. I was not going to commit WMFr money, which , we never repeat it
enough, is the donators money, in lawsuits againts those who criticized me
or the board !  Lawyer's fees were more usefully spent in legal defence of,
WP patrollers, unjustly sued. You should come to your senses.

You state that « *this issue concerns the Wikimedia movement as a whole:
many other chapters and the foundation itself confronted with management
problems, interferences by volunteers and suffering at work.** »  *Probably
even if several chapters have not met such difficulties, or not in such
proportions. And the foundation and the chapters that met it took actions,
often the same ones because they faced the same causes (authoritarianism,
too highly concentrated power, lack of dialogue with employees, etc.) Why
not to draw inspiration from it ? The Foundation has even innovated in
increasing the volunteers interference by creating the FDC !

Finally, the public accusations against Florence Devouard, and those
against Christophe Henner to justify the FDC allocation decrease, make me
very skeptical.

Florence is right to be concerned if the creation of an endowment fund was
being studied without the members being informed when the project already
seemed to have been discussed with other organizations. In view of the
current mistrust in the association's transparency, her reaction is quite
normal. Florence can sometimes be excessive but this is explained by her
deep attachment to Wikimedia France, which she helped create, to projects,
to the Wikimedia movement and values it carries and to which she has given
much. To avoid the problem you are talking about, it would have been
simpler, more transparent to not censor her mail on the association's
mailing list and to respond directly if you thought there were « *baseless
allegations* ».

For Christophe, I am rather surprised and I find your reproaches curious.
Not difficult for me to state this because I have often clashed with him,
our views of a good governance for Wikimedia France or employees management
were fundamentally different and the current WMFr situation paintfully bear
me out.

I quote : «  *We were then forced to report to the foundation the serious
Christophe Henner's misconducts against Nathalie Martin when he was
chairman of Wikimedia France and therefore the employer of Nathalie *».
First of all, one comment: Christophe was not Nathalie Martin 's employer.
It was Wikimédia France, represented by its board.  And unless the board
has given a delegation of power on this specific point, Christophe was not
his direct supervisor and Nathalie Martin had no subordonate relationship
to him. While such events may have occurred, this is an indicative of
serious governance problems, a lack of maturity and attention from Board
members who were regulary in touch, at least during the quarterly meetings,
with the executive director. Now I can understand that it may not be easy
for an Executive Director to face her President however. But why did
Nathalie Martin report nothing to the board or why did she not confide in
some of its members ? Why, despite the fact that she initiated a personal
legal proceeding, supported (funded ?) by WMFr against a former employee
for a reason I consider frivolous, did not do so against Christophe while
the reason provided is much more serious? Why did these accusations appear
only last March with Emeric Vallespi's e-mail, then chairman, just at the
moment, unless I'm mistaken, the FDC allocation going bad ?

Without judging whether the charges are well founded or not, I have no
basis for doing so, you will admit all this undermine these accusations.
Finally, as HR manager I had to deal in my professional life with man
harassment against woman, that's what we are speaking, we have to call a
spade a spade.  I am surprised that Christophe was a strong supporter of
the direct recruitment of Cyrille Bertin, Nathalie's spouse, responding
quite strongly to some members' protest about this choice and the
recruitment process.

Above all, I think to link the FDC's decision to a Christophe's influence
is insulting for the work and ethics of the FDC members. They are are often
very committed volunteers in their chapter operations and contributors on
the projects so they can have a fair view of the funds 'use by applicant
organizations to the FDC. I do not know all of them (4 years I left the
movement) but for those that I had the opportunity to know (Mike Peel and
Itzik Edri), they are  great value people with strong ethics.

To sum up, you give impression that board and employees are in a castle
under siege with the drawbridge firmly up, putting most of the employees in
an uncomfortable position and not protective one as you claim. And you fuel
a conspiracy theory I feel only board members and the two management
employees believe, losing a great deal of credibility in the eyes of the
Wikimedia mouvement and the Wikipedian community.

I hope that Wikimedia France's members will be able to take note of these
informations and that you, Samuel, you will return to a gathering
presidency, that you and the other signatories of your mail, will coming
out of your blindness or of the feeling of persecution in which you have
locked yourself and you will realize the situation in which is Wikimedia
France today, the risk for the WMFr sustainbility and especially the risk
that you entail to Wikipedia.
I learned that the Foundation was going to conduct an audit. To ensure
transparency and the the best possible conduct of this audit, I suggest
that you, Samuel, as president of Wikimedia France allow any former or
current employee to freely speak with auditors therefore to release those
concerned of any confidentiality clause they have signed. You should also
formally undertake to ensure that no current or former employee will be
subject to retaliatory measures as a result of the testimony he or she may
make to the auditors.

Best  regards

Thierry Coudray

Thierry