Hi all,

I’m happy to let you know that the Foundation has concluded our search for
a Chief Product Officer (CPO). Our own Toby Negrin will transition from
acting as interim lead of the Audiences department to this permanent and
updated role. Please join me in congratulating Toby!

Toby was unanimously recommended by our CPO search panel, following an
executive search process very similar to those used for recent executive
appointments in Legal and Talent & Culture. We kicked off the process by
developing a job description based on feedback from staff, particularly
from the Audiences department. This job description attracted hundreds of
applicants after being posted in August 2017. A pool of approximately 30
candidates was reviewed by the primary hiring panel, made up of
stakeholders from Audiences and Technology. We conducted additional
interviews with six candidates, and two external finalists were interviewed
by the full panel and myself.

Since joining the Foundation in 2013, Toby has demonstrated leadership
focussed on outcomes, collaboration with the Wikimedia community, and
respect for Wikimedia values. He led an expansion of our analytics efforts,
built a new team focused on Readers, and championed the development of
intuitive mobile interfaces and mobile applications. Toby played a critical
role in the creation of the Community Tech team, and supporting the
creation of the New Readers program. He has a deep interest in partnership
with the communities, an instinct for assembling and cultivating teams, and
a record of supporting staff as they develop and explore new skills and
roles.

Leading our product development efforts takes more than a commitment to the
Wikimedia mission. As the world around us changes, we too must evaluate how
we best make progress toward our mission. Changes in demographics,
language, connectivity, interfaces, and more will have a profound and
transformative effect on our projects and how we seek to achieve our
vision. To respond effectively, we will need to develop a vision and plan
for how the Wikimedia projects will evolve, growing users, expanding
services, and improving retention and participation. And perhaps more
importantly, we will need to develop a culture of excellence, service, and
sustainability across the organization, so that we can retain and attract a
diverse crow of exceptional colleagues.  I’m excited to see how Toby and
the department will continue to take on these challenges and opportunities.

Toby brings nearly 20 years of experience if integrating data, research,
and design to produce effective and popular products. Prior to joining the
Foundation, he led analytics efforts at DeNA, a mobile social games
company. At DeNA, he partnered with colleagues in Japan and China to build
global dashboards used to track gaming performance around the world. He
also held roles at Yahoo! related to cloud platforms, anti-abuse efforts,
and content moderation. Toby grew up in Los Angeles and the UK before
landing in the San Francisco Bay Area, and worked in software development
at startups in Sweden and The Netherlands. Toby graduated from the NIMBAS
Graduate School of Management and University of California - Santa Cruz. He
was a board member and treasurer of the Golden Gate Philharmonic youth
orchestra. In his free time, he enjoys spending time winemaking and grape
growing, running, hiking Bay Area trails, and playing tennis.

I want to offer my sincere thanks to the CPO hiring committee for your work
on this process: Jon Katz, Nirzar Pangarkar, Adam Baso, Grace Gellerman,
Anne Gomez, James Forrester, Victoria Coleman, and Ryan Kaldari. A special
thank you to Liz Verlade, Joady Lohr, and Anna Stillwell for their amazing
work coordinating the process. Finally, thank you to Eileen Hershenov,
Maggie Dennis, Megan Hernandez, Pau Giner, Danny Horn, Runa Bhattacharjee,
and Christophe Henner for their input throughout the process.

Again, and especially for those at WikidataCon this week, please join me in
congratulating Toby on this appointment!

Cheers,
Katherine

--
Katherine Maher