What are the good reason to be poaranoid? The only reason I ever heard is "is
making me waste time", usually expressed wasting more time.
BTW, after years of SUL most of the old time users have received a lot of
welcome messages and they receive usually two new ones per year, no more in my
experience. I made some test with newbies and it does not see more different,
when they one open some wikis they might receive a message  (and if they are
not used to other culture, that does not happen a lot of time, I suppose) .
I can think of dozens of things in my life that spam me more, and make me more
"paranoid". Yesterday I search a stupid thing and I found a related ad in my
youtube after 5 minutes, I told on a chat app that I had the flue and I got a
flu treatment opening a web page... spent more time being irritated by these
facts, this might have a good impact on everybody's life.
For wikimedia, just ask to add a link to a meta page where is written down
which messages are received via bot simply after log in, so it is super
transparent how it works and you learn how the build up of the SUL log in
works. Put a link to CentralAuth too.

    Il Sabato 30 Dicembre 2017 11:28, Peter Southwood