There are a lot of SUL issues that are waiting to be addressed. One for example
is the definition of what is not "appropriate" as a name. Another one is a
centralized interface for preferences, a third one is a centralized management
of key user information, a forth one is the possibility to disactivate
crosswiki ping services so you can manage them only when you want to... and so
on... one reasonable thing you can ask is that the message is not inserted in
the talk of people with no edits, for example. Or that the welcome messages are
progressively standardized, with a clear layout for the message that can be
declined with the users' language preferences when they are declared. Sure,
there is no point in linking me again to the five pillar, but a link to some
key pages might still be useful.
In any case I cannot think of it as really important, and it is to me less
important than other issues related to the SUL interface.
Right in these days one of my friends that I registered years ago or that was
already registered (in any case a very minor contributor, with only a
superficial involvement on wiki platforms) received one of this welcome message
in one "non-western language". He/She found it funny.
I probably have very tolerant friends... good for me! But so far I still feel
that this is a problem only for a small fraction on  mid-term and long-term
users than for the rest of the world. I believe that if you make an extensive
research these messages might have no effect (especially if left by bot), they
probably have some effect if they are part of a human interaction, and there is
a minority who will disagree with them strongly. Based on the human
interactions and experiences in my life at the workplace, I kinda suspect that
for many of these people this could be also their general attitude in other
fields.
Don't get me wrong, I am concerned by the abuse of psychometric and personal
data on modern internet platform, I'll do whatever I could to prevent it that's
why I really don't understand why these messages given by an open and linear
process are such a big deal per se. To me it's like overthinking something
quite superficial and that's unfortunately rarely in the interest of taking
care of the real big deal, such as e.g. your personal metadata being sold to
big conglomerates without your "active permission". So are my friends, and,
surprise surpirse, they don't care about these welcome messages too.