This is really great! Congratulations to this success to both of you,
Wikimedia Armenia and the Gulbenkian Foundation!

I really appreciate to see that creating and preserving Free Knowledge can
have such an influence on official language policies :)

Best regards
Cornelius

On 1 February 2018 at 00:00, Delphine Ménard <dmen...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Congratulations to Wikimedia Armenia for those truly great efforts!
>
> best,
>
> Delphine

> > Dear all,
> >
> > I'm pleased to announce that the efforts of Wikimedia Armenia to get
> > separate ISO 639-3 language code for Western Armenian [1] were finally
> > succeeded. SIL International, the ISO 639-3 Registration Authority,
> decided
> > to create the code element [hyw] for Western Armenian. [2]
> >
> > We initiated this process three years ago when we started the
> collaboration
> > with the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation [3] in order to foster and
> improve
> > free content in Western Armenian. This resulted in "Western Armenian
> > project" where Wikimedia Armenia through different events and activities
> > started to disseminate and support the creation of Western Armenian
> content
> > with the help of local and diasporan Western Armenian community members.
> >
> > From the launch of the "Western Armenian project" we were challenged with
> > the problem that Western Armenian has no ISO 639-3 language code which
> did
> > not allow the community to split Western Armenian content into a separate
> > language Wikipedia. This problem made lots of  trouble for us, as hy.wiki
> > often had two versions of the same page.
> >
> > Wikimedia Armenia with Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation eventually decided
> > apply for code split. [4] This was done mainly with the help of Michael
> > Everson. [5] Besides WM AM and Armenian Communities Department of
> Calouste
> > Gulbenkian foundation there were also other parties involved, such as the
> > department of Armenian Studies of the Institut National des Langues et
> > Civilisations Orientales, Paris and other academic institutions.
> >
> > Today is a special day for Wikimedia Armenia and Western Armenian
> speaking
> > community as our proposal was accepted. Thanks all Wikimedians who
> > supported us in this work.
> >
> > Best,
> > Davit Saroyan
> > Program Manager
> > Wikimedia Armenia
> >

> > 1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Armenian
> > 2.
> > http://www-01.sil.org/iso639-3/cr_files/PastComments/CR_
> > Comments_2017-023.pdf
> > 3. https://gulbenkian.pt/en/
> > 4. http://www-01.sil.org/iso639-3/cr_files/2017-023.pdf
> > 5. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Everson

> Delphine Ménard
> Program Officer
> Wikimedia Foundation
> User:Delphine_(WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Delphine_(WMF)>

Cornelius Kibelka
Program and Engagement Coordinator (PEC)
for the Wikimedia Conference

Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
http://wikimedia.de

http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207