every grant from the WMF or affiliates have fixed metrics/kpi(key
performance indicators) to ensure the grabt is doing what it set out to do,
failing to do that would negatively impact its charity status.

on the legal side the issue is centered around whether the wmf has any
editorial oversight, even by giving grants or donations that specifically
focus on the performance of admin/sysop functions of individuals  it could
be consider as taking such a role.

for the individuals sadly volunteers within the community have already
experienced the dark side of what it is to be a wikimedian, to step that up
to receiving some form of payment would potentially make people responsible
for the content or seen as responsible putting them at greater risk.

On 26 May 2018 at 22:49, David Cuenca Tudela <dacu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have the feeling that we need to clarify what it means to be a "paid
> admin" vs a "community-supported volunteer".
>
> In my definition, a "paid admin" is a person who receives a salary to
> perform a delimited function not necessarily aligned with his/her will.
> There is a contractual obligation where a organization is paying the person
> in exchange of some tasks. Which is basically the definition of a job.
>
> On the other hand I see a "community-supported volunteer" as a volunteer
> who receives a grant/donation to be able to support himself/herself while
> doing whatever he/she feels like doing in the project (with oversight of
> the community), which normally are core activities that cannot be bundled
> up in a "project grant".
>
> Do these definitions make the distinction clear?
>
> Gnangarra, given those definitions, could you please explain how giving a
> grant/donation to a person shifts the WMF or an affiliate to being legally
> responsible for the actions of this person? As I see it if I make a
> donation to a person I am not responsible for their actions, but I might be
> wrong.
> And in which way would that expose them in their countries?
>
> I would also like to express my gratitude to you for participating in this
> conversation with a simple thank you.
>
> Regards,
> Micru

GN.
Noongarpedia: https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/nys/Main_Page
Out now: A.Gaynor, P. Newman and P. Jennings (eds.), *Never Again:
Reflections on Environmental Responsibility after Roe 8*, UWAP, 2017.  Order
here
<https://uwap.uwa.edu.au/products/never-again-reflections-on-environmental-responsibility-after-roe-8>
.