Dear Wikimedians,

We are happy to announce that the 2017 Picture of the Year competition is now
open.

Picture of the Year 2017 is the twelfth edition of the annual Wikimedia Commons
image competition, which recognizes exceptional contributions by users on
Wikimedia Commons. Wikimedia users are invited to vote for their favorite
images featured on Commons (FP) during the year 2017, to produce a single
Picture of the Year.

Hundreds of images that have been rated Featured Pictures by the international
Wikimedia Commons community. From professional animal and plant shots to
breathtaking panoramas and skylines, historically relevant images, images
portraying the world's best architecture, Commons features pictures of all
flavors.

For your convenience, we have sorted the images into topic categories. Two
rounds of voting will be held: In the first (and current) round, you can vote
for as many images as you like. The first round category winners and the top
ten overall will then make it to the final. In the final round, when a limited
number of images are left, you must decide on the one image that you want to
become the Picture of the Year.

To see the candidate images just go to the POTY 2017 page on Wikimedia Commons:
 https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Picture_of_the_Year/2017

Round 1 will end 24 June 2018, 23:59:59 [UTC].

Thanks,
POTY 2017 committee

Note: Users must vote with an account meeting following requirements:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Picture_of_the_Year/2017/Rules