I apologize for the unusually large load of typos, especially misspelling
Kaarel's name. Usually I get enough sleep but last night I didn't.
Apparently my attention to detail is diminished.

I'm rapidly spending my Wikimedia-l quota of 15 emails per calendar month,
so if there is extensive discussion on this topic then I may ask that we
move the conversation to a wiki page.

Regards,

Pine
( https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Pine )


On Mon, Sep 3, 2018 at 9:02 PM Pine W <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello colleagues,
>
> A topic which I feel that I should address again on this mailing list is
> revenue for Wikimedia work, specifically WMF and non-WMF sources of revenue.
>
> I will start by talking about my personal situation, and then discuss some
> related situations.
>
> I am currently requesting a grant from WMF. I cannot afford afford to work
> on this project in a sustainable way without funding, and I feel that I am
> making a request that is reasonably aligned with market rates for someone
> with my current level of skills and knowledge, but I feel conflicted about
> requesting funding from WMF because of the potential for difficulties
> between WMF and the community, especially because of the potential that I
> would be reluctant to express my views regarding WMF due to fear of losing
> WMF funding. (I'm not linking to my grant request here because I don't want
> this email to give the impression that I'm using this topic to ask for
> community endorsements for my grant request.)
>
> Similarly, *The Signpost *is labor-intensive to produce, and I would like
> for funding to be available for the more prolific *Signpost *contributors
> so that they have a good reason to treat their labor for The Signpost as
> part time jobs. However, it would be difficult to maintain the editorial
> independence of *The Signpost *from WMF if the contributors (especially
> contributors to the "News and Notes" and "In the Media" sections, and the
> contributors who are responsible for the overall editing and publication of 
> *The
> Signpost*) received funding from WMF.
>
> There are many other areas in the Wikimedia community where there is
> enough work that is not getting done by volunteers, and/or where volunteers
> can put in so many hours that they can get burnt out, that I think that
> non-WMF funding would be good to make available for contributors who would
> like to work in these areas. Two examples are investigations of undisclosed
> paid editing, and translation and development of medical content.
>
> With Kaarl's cooperation (thank you, Kaarl) I have requested that two  of
> the WMF strategy working groups consider non-WMF funding for Wikimedia work
> as a part of their discussions.
>
> I would like for significant non-WMF revenue to be available for Wikimedia
> work. I think that this could be arranged with WMF's cooperation, although
> there is a long journey between saying that "I think that this could be
> arranged" and having a successful system in place.
>
> If you have thoughts that you would like to share on this topic, then I
> hope that you will comment here on this mailing list, or in some other
> appropriate location such as one or both of the relevant strategy talk
> pages ([1
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Working_Groups/Revenue_Streams>]
> or [2
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Working_Groups/Resource_Allocation>
> ]).
>
> Let me make a specific invitation to WMF employees to share your thoughts.
> I would like to hear your comments, both official and personal, if that is
> okay and if you would like to comment.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Pine
> ( https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Pine )
>
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: 
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines and 
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia-l
New messages to: [email protected]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, 
<mailto:[email protected]?subject=unsubscribe>

Reply via email to