I think that this leaves all of us who request WMF grants in difficult
positions, because either we get along with WMF or we risk WMF cutting off
our funding, and there are few non-WMF alternatives for funding Wikimedia
work.

Even if someone finds a non-WMF alternative for funding Wikimedia work,
that person or organization will often need WMF's approval to use the
trademarks.

I wonder if a solution to this is to make a 180 degree change to how
spending approvals and trademark approvals are done, with the idea that WMF
should come to the community to request approval for funding and to use the
trademarks.

In the meantime I personally feel like I need to choose between being
honest and wanting funding. I'm not sure that the loss of my voice in
discussions matters very much when there are tens of thousands of
contributors, so maybe I overestimate the usefulness of my independence
from WMF, but it seems to me that no one should be in this difficult
position of feeling like they have a choice between (1) being honest or (2)
wanting WMF grant funding and trademark approvals. To be clear, no one has
threatened my funding with political conditions, but in the absence of some
explicit and legally enforceable protections, I feel vulnerable.

Pine