Le 27/09/2018 à 10:00, Asaf Bartov a écrit :
On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 4:07 PM Devouard (gmail) <fdevou...@gmail.com>
wrote:

I think it is a very good move.

Berlin conference has a big default, which is that, contrariwise to our
mouvement, it is not inclusive. This is a closed conference where only
specific people may go. That naturally let out a whole lot of people.
All those who do great things, but who are not representative of an
affiliate.

True.  But:

Berlin has become so big that increasingly, many decisions
are made over there, in a closed environment. And those who are not part
it are missing opportunities to weight in.

I have been to every Wikimedia Conference since 2009, and I disagree with
this characterization.  I am hard-pressed to think of *decisions* made at
WMCON.  I remember discussions, feedback-gathering (e.g. the recent
strategy work), but not *decisions*.  The only *decisions* I can think of
actually made at the Wikimedia Conference are either: 1. committee
decisions (e.g. AffCom), using the conference for a face-to-face meeting
and making the same kinds of decisions they otherwise make online, or 2.
decisions between a group of volunteers to collaborate on something (i.e.
individuals inspiring each other into undertaking a volunteer project, e.g.
WLM).

Characterizing this conference as a secretive decision-making cabal is
untrue and unfair, and may give people who've never been to it a very wrong
impression.

    A.

1) I did not say it was MAJOR decisions. But yet... there are decisions made that do impact the way volunteer community works.

2) And I did not saying that those are constructed and planned situations resulting from a cabalistic underground activity.

The decisions are made simply because some people find themselves together and have the opportunity to make decisions.

Please do not put words in mouth that I did not say. I never said that this was planned nor secret nor twisted. It just happens because people are at the same time at the same place. Of course, when you put 350 people together, most of them being part or a usergroup or committee or chapter, decisions will be made. The same happens in ANY wikimedia meeting. This is true of Wikimania, this is true of WikiIndaba or WikiCon. This is true of any event.

But Wikimedia Conference is nearly the only one which is a closed conference. There are a couple of other exceptions (such as some events related to gender).

I have no intent to create any public trouble here so will not provide an example on the list. Plus I do not think it is worth putting any light on this specific example.

But I am sending you a private email to give you a very simple and recent example.

Florence