Hi Erik,

Le 18/10/2018 à 04:51, Erik Moeller a écrit :
I'm wondering what folks in the Wikimedia community and movement make
of this call to action. Is there more that Wikimedia can do, for
example, to support translation of news articles into many languages?

There is nothing in Jamal's own op-ed that indicates that it would be
legally permissible to translate it. This is, unfortunately, the norm
for news; there are few outlets that use a Creative Commons license,
and those that do, typically tend to choose the most restrictive
variants.

What we already have is Wikinews, which use CC-BY-2.5 following a community pool of 2005 : https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikinews/Licensure_Poll

It seems that the content translation extension is not installed on Wikinews:

 * https://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Special:Version
 * https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Content_translation

So installing it might be a way to lower the barrier on this point.

Of course this is not the only issue why Wikinews doesn't attract that many people, there are already plethora of analyzes of the subject out there I guess, here is one: https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Wikinews-so-under-used

Personally, which sadly resonate with the terrible story of Jamal Khashoggi, I would add additional uncertainty for mere citizen compared to a professional journalist. That said I'm not very knowledgeable about this, are secret of sources usable by any citizen which would publish something on Wikinews? Documenting risks and how to mitigate them when contributing to Wikinews might be an other way to improve what we already provide.

With all my sympathy to Jamal's relatives and all journalists around the world risking their lives in the name of truth,
Mathieu