Hey Everyone,

I wanted to send a quick reminder that on Tuesday, 27th November, at 16:00
UTC, we will launch our mobile and banner campaigns. We expect to run the
fundraising campaign on English Wikipedia in 6 countries: USA, Canada, UK,
Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand. You may notice some final systems
tests running between now and then.

---Banners and Ideas---

You can see all of our current most effective fundraising banners on our
Fundraising Ideas page where you can also contribute any specific ideas or
stories we should tell via social media, banners, emails etc. (
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising/2018-19_Fundraising_ideas )

Like last year, we will come to you for ideas and suggestions to test. In
addition to bringing in donations, we aim to use the campaign to educate
all readers about Wikipedia and the community who creates it. The
fundraising team’s A/B testing strategy works in iterative steps, so look
at our banners and have a think about what one element you would change or
add and how would you make it different. Think of sentences we can use to
tell our story that would make you proud. Look at other non-profit websites
and see if there are ideas that you think we should try.

To get people thinking, here is a list of things of what works and what
does not:

WHAT WORKS

* Localisation - We refer to which country the reader is from, what day it
is and the general type of device they use (mobile or desktop).

* Reverse Social Proof/Exceptionalism - Unlike other commercial or
non-profits, our donors like to feel special. (They should. They are.)

* A personal, frank tone -  Words like humbly or sincerely are important in
asks

* Anchoring the donation amount - We refer to the $3 small amount, we refer
to the average donation amount and in email we refer to past donation
amounts.

* Coffee and Ubiquity - It works, mainly because it is something that is
common in many people’s lives. Coffee, metro lines, libraries, public parks
etc.

WHAT DOESN'T

* Social proof (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_proof) - It’s a well
known concept that individuals will align their actions to others in order
to acquire acceptance from a wider group. It is a concept used very broadly
in both commercial and non-profit worlds. We've been told by people from
all industries, academics and from our communities that this works. For
Wikipedia it doesn't. We've tried and tested and re-tested again and again.
It really doesn't work for us

* Idealism - Wikipedia: As long as the internet/the world exists, we pledge
that Wikipedia will strive to make it a better place. Stories of helping
farmers or children across the world.

* Breadth - Facts like: English Wikipedia just passed 5 million articles.
From Argentina to Zimbabwe, your gift keeps the world learning.

---Reporting Issues---

If you see any technical issues with the banners or payments systems please
do report it on phabricator:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/task/create/?template=118862

If you see a donor on a talk page, OTRS, or social media with questions
about donating or having difficulties in the donation process, please refer
them to:   donate {{at}} wikimedia.org.

Here is also the ever present fundraising IRC channel to raise urgent
technical issues: #wikimedia-fundraising (
http://webchat.freenode.net?channels=%23wikimedia-fundraising&uio=d4)

---Next Updates & Social Media---

Tomorrow we will be posting a blog and also releasing some updated social
media frames.

A huge thank you to everyone who works to create and support Wikipedia who
make it a resource that people love and want to donate to. Fingers crossed!

--
Seddon

*Community and Audience Engagement Associate*
*Advancement (Fundraising), Wikimedia Foundation*