Hi Bodhisattwa,

*Community model of affiliates *
Many participants reported difficulties building trust with volunteers. It
is very easy to lose the volunteer appeal if the organisation is not
conscious about their needs, and there is no active communication. I
reported the case of Amical, which is the one that I know well, and it is
the only model that I trust.

The model of Amical is based on friendship. Volunteers and members of the
organisation are bound by the mission, but that doesn't mean that it is the
only kind of connection that it should exist between them. For
organizations that are geographically close, the ideal scenario is to have
some kind of mutual personal understanding and not focus only on the
projects. Wikimedians can be interesting people to get to know better so,
why not organize events where people just talk or have fun together without
editing anything?

When there is a personal relationship, it becomes easier to modulate
frustrations and deal with them more effectively than through online
channels. Written communication is deprived of the human element, and it
should be used as little as possible.

What is important to know is that our communities are open systems, however
in order to enter them, one must be ready to be changed by them, and the
organisation should be open to be changed by new members. This should
happen at different levels, but of course, it should be possible for anyone
to enter an organization informally, and over time reach the core.

Regards,
Micru

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 8:45 AM Bodhisattwa Mandal <
bodhisattwa.rg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Micru,
>
> I am interested about your thoughts about governance recommendation for the
> movement and community model of affiliates.
>
> Regards,
> Bodhisattwa
>

> On Mon, 18 Feb 2019, 12:14 Фархад Фаткуллин / Farkhad Fatkullin <
> f...@yandex.com wrote:
>
> > Micru,
> > I would be interested to learn about "External perception of the
> > movement".part of your insights.
> > Thanks.
> >
> > from Russia with love,
> > farhad
> > https://ru.wikimedia.org/wiki/Smart_region
> >
> > --
> > Farhad Fatkullin - Фархад Фаткуллин http://sikzn.ru/ Тел.+79274158066 /
> > skype:frhdkazan / Wikipedia:frhdkazan / WMRU:
> >

> > 18.02.2019, 02:35, "David Cuenca Tudela" <dacu...@gmail.com>:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Last Friday I participated in a workshop in Brussels where people from
> > > different NGOs met to learn from each other to foster flat,
> > > democratic, and diverse organisations. I was one of four speakers in a
> > > "world cafe" format (basically a circle where participants can
> > > interact with the speaker). I represented the Wikimedia movement in
> > > general, with the intention that participants would learn from our
> > > movement, and so that I would learn from them. There were also Open
> > > Space sessions.
> > >
> > > If there is interest, I can share with you my insights on any of these
> > topics:
> > > - External perception of the movement
> > > - Recommendations to the WMF
> > > - Governance recommendations for the movement
> > > - Community model for affiliates
> > > - How to increase diversity
> > >
> > > There is a lot to say about each topic, so please ask only about the
> > > topic you have genuine interest in. If there is no interest, I'm ok
> > > keeping it to myself.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Micru

Etiamsi omnes, ego non