‫בתאריך יום ה׳, 12 בדצמ׳ 2019 ב-3:27 מאת ‪Strainu‬‏ <‪strain...@gmail.com
‬‏>:‬

> În joi, 12 dec. 2019 la 00:21, Amir Sarabadani <ladsgr...@gmail.com> a
> scris:
> >
> > Do you know about
> > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Reading/Web/Desktop_Improvements ?
>
> Those are all evolutions, I think the question here was about a revolution.
>
> The main problem I see with that is that is changing all the on-wiki
> templates and scripts that work with the current skin.

Indeed, this is the biggest reason.

And it would be about 900 times more manageable if they weren't different
in every wiki as they are now. If any big rewrite is done in the design,
the templates and the gadgets will have to be massively updated in any
case. This design will be designed and implemented once, in core MediaWiki
or in an extension. The question is—will the templates and the gadgets have
to be updated 900 times, on every wiki, or just once.

It must become possible to store templates, modules, and gadgets in a
global wiki. Not all of them have to be global, because some are unique to
a certain wiki. But most can be shared. The work on this can start already
now, so that when a big redesign comes—and surely it will come one fine
day—most templates and gadgets will have to be only once.

A good place to agree or to disagree with this is
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Global_templates

> There is also a
> question of opportunity: with less and less desktop users, it just
> makes more sense to invest in the mobile experience (and the beta mode
> there is super cool, but still breaks some templates).

The tragic thing here is that reading is increasingly done on mobile
devices, and in some countries it's already the majority of pageviews. But
editing is mostly done on the desktop, which looks completely differently.
So editors don't even see a preview of how what they write will look for
*most* readers.