We are constantly fighting to keep aesthetics from interfering with
usability, for example by people using lower-contrast, more
subjectively appealing typography, such as quoting text in green on
white, or using lower contrast backgrounds of any color. Both are hard
even for people with normal vision to read in bright sunlight. A dark
mode might be a better accessibility option at present; the evidence
is inconclusive overall, but much stronger than smaller or lower
contrast text, of course.

The story of Comic Sans' accessibility to dyslexics is truly remarkable:

https://www.thecut.com/2017/03/the-reason-comic-sans-is-a-public-good.html

What makes it remarkable is that Comic Sans outperforms both of the
fonts which were specifically designed to be easier for dyslexics by
copying its surnised features in a more aesthetically appealing way,
Dyslexie and OpenDyslexic. Overriding browser default faults and using
lower contrast, smaller text for aesthetic purposes is an ableist
assault on dyslexics, and it's not hard to find plenty of them
complaining about it.

Our efforts would be better spent allowing people to switch to Comic
Sans as a preference, or trying to get people to remember to include a
shortlink to their slides and upload them before they present, for
nearsighted people not in the  row who might want to read along, and
not use fonts smaller than 1/12 the height of their slides, for that
matter.